which type of wood should I use?

Old 09-03-03, 09:00 AM
nicb
Visiting Guest
which type of wood should I use?

Hi,
I'm building a small fence. I have used pressure treated wood for the frame (posts and 2x4 connecting the posts) but I'm not sure what type of wood to use for the vertical slats (sp?). I live in Seattle WA where it is pretty damp so I just want something that is rot resistent (but not toooo expensive). Also, when finished, should I seal the whole fence with a water sealer (i.e Thompson's water sealer)? Also, is there a recommended size to the slats? The length will be about 5' but I don't know if there is a preferred thickness? (I assume the width is just personal preference)

What other items should I do to make sure it lasts?

Thanks

Last edited by nicb; 09-03-03 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-03-03, 11:28 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If price weren't an issue, consider pressure treated 1x4. As with all wood, the better grades will be less subject to warping. Thinner boards tend more to warp. If the wood won't touch the ground or grass, untreated wood could be used.

The water will intrude in the ends of the boards. Smooth cuts and sealing the ends will help protect the wood from damage.

The best protection for exposed wood is paint. Sealants such as Thompson will help protect the wood. Sealants need to be applied every year or so.

Some let pressure treated or cedar boards weather to the expected gray color.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: