A couple of deck building questions

Old 09-03-03, 03:11 PM
welderboy
Visiting Guest
A couple of deck building questions

I’m going to be building a deck at my cabin next spring and want to start planning now. It’s in the mountains so high snow loads are possible (up to 15’ depth). The deck is about 6’ off the ground. The deck will be about 25’x 12’. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have experience with how the composite decking materials holds up both aesthetically and structurally with a lot of snow and shoveling all winter?
2. Does anyone see a problem with hanging the beams on the posts ? I plan on hanging 4” x ??” beams between 6”x 6” posts around the perimeter and resting the beams on the posts in the center of the deck. I’m doing this so I can continue the posts up for the railing.
3. Does anyone see a problem with hanging the joists between the beams instead of resting them on top? My basement access is under the deck and if I place the joists on top of the beams that would only leave me about a 4 ½ foot door.

I hope that this makes sense. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-03, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
welderboy,

This may help you to give better ideas as to what you can do. This will answer 2 and 3. #1 is different story as I have been getting both positive and negative feedback on the composites.

Read through some of the other postings here for some reference.

http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/dpwes/pu...ns/deckdet.htm

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: