Deck Stain -- TWP200 or Cabot 1400 ??

Old 09-04-03, 12:08 PM
Augie05
Visiting Guest
Deck Stain -- TWP200 or Cabot 1400 ??

Hi,

I just had a 500 sq foot PT deck built and now I need to stain it. I live in North Carolina and I get a mix of shade and sun on my deck. I want a stain that will last, look good (show some of the wood grain) and not be too difficult to apply.

I am trying to decide what to use .... TWP200 or Cabot 1400 series:

TWP200 - recommended by two deck contractors including the one I used. Only available via one supplier in the area. Not reviewed by Consumer Reports or anyone else. (that I can find) Their spec sheet on their web site says that their stain is "not recommended" for high traffic areas but the contractors still recommend it. Oil based product ??

Cabot 1400 Series -- rated best deck stain by Consumer Reports for the last couple of years. Local Ace Hardware carries the product. I was told that the Cabot was harder to apply than the TWP200 product. Acrylic based product.

Also, any comments on staining after 30 days if it stays dry and hot ?

Thanks !!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-03, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Augie05,

If you can, stay away from stain, try using a pigmented sealer. Stain is very high maintenance. Especially on pressure treated lumber. If you really need to stain, apply Flood companies "Seasonit".

Based upon what you are reviewing, and if staining is your preference, TWP is okay but do not over apply because it will peel!

Waiting 30 days is a good rule of thumb.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-03, 03:39 AM
Augie05
Visiting Guest
followup

Doug,

When you say "high maintenance" are you referring to the fact that you must restain every couple of years ?? Also, regarding the sealer, will it prevent the wood from changing colors like other sealers do ? I don't want to weathered, grey look.

One last question, you mentinoed the TWP as being "okay" (does not sound very positive).... what about the Cabot ? How much experience do you have with either product ?

Thanks again,
Doug

Old 09-05-03, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Augie05,

Yes, stain will hae to be applied within 2 years and this is the reason for "high maintenance".

As I mentioned, you need to do a "pigmented sealer" which provides color but not like stains.

Oil based stains are the best as water based (acrylic) are not as long lasting and can be difficult to apply with any evenness in application. As mentioned, TWP is not recommended for high traffic areas due to peeling and this is why I say it is an okay product..

I can only validate the TWP and have discussed Cabott with deck builders/stain/sealer finishers. Again avoiding stains is the best but pigmented sealers have color but you don't have to work so hard to maintain color.

Since you have done your own research, go with what you like as I and others can say what we know but "reviews" are made to provide insight. You have to be the judge.

Hope this helps!