? on joist spacing and decking

Old 09-23-03, 02:45 PM
abalk
Visiting Guest
? on joist spacing and decking

I have 2 questions.

I'm building a 36'X15' deck.

I want to break into 3 sections (12' X 15') for decking (5/4X6). each section on the diagonal in different directions.

1st ? : Can the joists be spaced at 16 OC for this scheme or do they have to be 12 OC

using 2X10's for joists with beams at 6.5' and 13'. (2' over hang)

The reason I ask is, with the diagonal the span for the 5/4X6 decking is about 22 5/8" between joists. Is this too much?

2nd and sort of 3rd ?:

Is it possible to use 16' decking and only break the deck into 3 sections. I do not want seems in any section. Or do I need to break the deck into 6 sections.

Reason why I ask is a 12'X12' triangle has a diagonal of over 16'. I read that you can make a 12' deck on diagonal with 16' lumber.
Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-03, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5/4 decking? Set the joists at 12" O.C. Using 16" O.C. with diagonal 5/4 is overspanning the decking.

Can you get this 5/4 in 20' lengths? THAT will go corner to corner of a 12 X 15 deck without any joints. If not, you COULD do it with 16' lengths, but they won't corner to corner. Frame the deck, then use a 16' deck board. Starting at the outside corner, swing it until you are out of length -- THAT will be the angle of the decking. Or, break it up into 4, 5, or 6 "decks" -- then 16 footers will work.

The framing is simple -- 15' projection, 36' width. It's just the layout of the decking that you need to determine.