minimum deck height

Old 11-06-03, 08:47 AM
txpilot
Visiting Guest
minimum deck height

I'm helping a friend with replacing out an old deck. The existing deck is attached to the house and is only 51/2" to 1 ft above the ground. Due to the height, a beam/cantilever design cannot be used. The 2x6 joists are touching the ground and are severely decayed.

In building a replacement deck, I'm hoping the new deck will last a bit longer. However, I'm not sure how to design this. I cannot raise the deck due to the height of connecting doors on the house. Any suggestions?

Second question: the deck size is 20' (parallel to house) by 12'. Since I obviously can't use a joist size larger than a 2x6, do I need a header to divide the distance? (two 6' 2x6's as opposed to a 2x6x12' joist). I'm hoping to get away with it since the joists will already be on the ground and will not bounce too much. I'm planning on joists 16" oc with 2x6 diagonal decking.

Third question: any recommendations on protectant to apply if the joists need to be on the ground?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan

Old 11-06-03, 11:55 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Well, understand you can't go UP due to a door, but what about digging out the end where the ground is making contact ? If you're in the ground with the deck, then isn't the ground also up the height floor system ? not a good thing......

Your other choice would be to use treated lumber rated for ground contact.....it has .6/lb per cubic ft rather than .4 for regular treated lumber. Harder to find, check farm supply stores.

Old 11-06-03, 04:14 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've done several very low level decks.

What I have done is pour concrete footings (6" wide and a foot deep) the length of the deck -- for a deck with a 12' projection, pour one within 2' of the house, one mid-span and one at least 10 feet from the house. Rest your joists directly on the footings, or use small posts if needed to keep the joists at the level you need them.

i would use 12' 2X6's for the joists -- why put a joint in them that is just going to make more work for you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: