New Support for front porch

Old 11-08-03, 08:26 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Support for front porch

Hello, My front porch began sagging because insufficient support in the front right corner (the only corner not attached to the foundation). It was supported by a hollow metal column resting on a 6" deep stone about 3" below the surface of the ground.

I removed that support, dug a 4' hole and inserted a concrete column.

I'm now ready to install the new support post. I was planning on using a 4x4 post of pressure-treated lumber. Is this enough support? It certainly seems like much more support than the previous support, but I want to make it is enough; obviously I don't want to have to do this again! The height of the post will be about 51".

Also, I have a 1" plastic post stand that the post will rest on, so that it is not in direct contact with the top of the concrete column. Should this be bolted down to the concrete, then attached to the wood post? Or, is the pressure of the porch on the support enough to not require this?

Thanks very much in advance!

Old 11-08-03, 01:06 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How big is the porch?

If something smaller than a 4X4 supported it for years, a 4X4 SHOULD be sufficient, but we need to know the size of the porch before we can say 'yes' or 'no' for sure.

Anchor the post base to the footing. If you are using a Simpson CPS4, drill a 1/2" hole in the top of the footing 4" to 6" deep, epoxy a 1/2" length of rebar into that hole so that it is about 4" to 6" above the top of the base (7" above the footing) and bore a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the post for it to go into. Use 10d nails to secure the CPS to the bottom of the post, then set in on the footing.

Old 11-09-03, 06:22 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dimensions

thanks for the reply, lefty.

the porch is 8' by 12', w/ an 8' ceiling.

Old 11-11-03, 07:17 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
At 8' X 12', this porch needs more than one post. How many, and how far apart depends on the size of the header that you have spanning the 12'. (I am assuming that the ceiling joists are running in the 8' direction.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: