Putting a porch on top of a slab.

Old 01-29-04, 03:22 PM
jdc50
Visiting Guest
Putting a porch on top of a slab.

I have a cement porch the typical one that they put there when a house is build. The height of it leaves a large step into the house. I would like to put a wood porch on it at the height which would make it comfortable with the step into the house.

The question is this --- Even if I use treated wood do I need to worry about rain and snow collecting underneath it? Should I do something to allow it to drain off?

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-04, 04:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this porch covered? If so, that should reduce or eliminate rain and snow collecting under this "deck" you are going to put on it.

How high of a step do you presently have, from the porch to the door threshold? Ideally it should be about 7". Keep that in mind when you choose what to "deck" it with.

The concrete porch should be sloped away from the house already. Check it. Won't take much slope -- maybe 1/8" per ft. to allow it to drain properly.

Rather than using treated wood for the sleeper under this "deck" you will be putting on the porch, I would use Trex or some other composite. Water and moisture won't bother that at all, EVER!!

Old 01-29-04, 04:16 PM
jdc50
Visiting Guest
Well it is a partionally covered area but for all practically purposes there is not much protection. As for using a composite product I have this on a deck in back but it said not to use it as support pieces.

I will have to check the slope of the porch when and if I can get to it again. After 10 inches of snow on top of what we had it is a little hard to do it right now.

Thanks

Jim

Old 01-29-04, 04:28 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are using a composite and laying so that it is fully supported by the slab. you are fine. You can't use it as a structural piece that will be spanning anything (like a joist).

Old 01-29-04, 04:37 PM
jdc50
Visiting Guest
Ok thanks

Jim