Raised Brick Patio

Old 02-27-04, 09:31 AM
t-hutch
Visiting Guest
Raised Brick Patio

For my summer project this year I plan on installing a brick patio. It will be about 200 square feet, split level with stairs leading down to the rear of the yard which is about a foot lower than where the patio will be. (The yard is built up around the house) One major obstacle is a very large oak tree that is about ten feet from where the edge of the patio will be.
Everything I have read about how to install the patio says I need to dig down and establish a base of crushed rock or gravel and sand before laying the bricks. I'm afraid that if I do this I will cause too much damage to the tree's root system.
I was wondering if it would be possible to build on top of the current grade rather than digging down. Can this be done? I know that water won't be a problem since I am using brick & sand rather than mortar, but what about compaction? Should I use non compacting fill rather than gravel for the foundation? What do I need to do to ensure that the patio retains its shape and all of the sand won't wash away?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks

Old 03-01-04, 09:21 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To achieve the raised patio, pour a retaining wall around the perimeter that you want. 4" thick, about 10" to a foot high, as needed should work. Then put your base inside this wall and compact it, then add the pavers.

If you don't compact it, it will rise and sink to whatever height it want to, and you'll be tripping over the edges of the pavers.

If the oak tree is established, a patio 10' from it won't bother it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: