saving energy in Texas

Old 03-16-04, 02:54 PM
gargrizz
Visiting Guest
saving energy in Texas

Does anyone know what kind of structure I could use to shade the south side of my house? I cannot use plants or trees beause most of the area is a patio. It could be solid or louvers. The overhang would have to be about 3' deep. This distance added to the existing soffit would give me the correct distance to shade the house in the summer & get the winter sun. Do you know of any pictures or plans of something like this? I would like to use vinyl- not wood. I have even thought of using decking material but do not know where to get the individual boards.
Also, does anyone know how clear window film compares to shadescreen in saving energy?

Old 03-16-04, 03:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: gargrizz and Welcome to the Do It Yourself web site.

I recently visited the local Lowes store in my area. There the do it yourself person can buy all the materials needed to construct and install awnings made of several different types of materials.

PVC and Ploycarbonate corragated colored panels may be the answer, as well as a solid aluminum canopy sized to fit.

One company has all the construction plans and materials needed for the frame work and structure supports. Than the instructions on how to assembly the products yourself, saving plenty on labor costs.

The codes are not on in this forum, so you will need to copy and paste the web sites address into the browsers address bar:
http://www.SUNTUF.com

DIY, this site may also have vendors and or suppliers. Check the dropdown menu listing above under exteriors as well as the advertiser Lowes link on the right side of the page.

Other large home building supply stores have like products for those whom are handy with general tools and a power hand saw or table saw. Makes a great do it yourself project too....

Window glass covering have there purposes but clear will not reduce or block out sun. Difficult to see throught some of the colors of some sun screen covers applied to a window. Most bubble up after a few years too.

Window smoking, tinting or shading are possibilities but must be done by a pro in a glass shop or auto detailer shop. Spray on colors do not work well and are difficult to apply, in my opinion.

Check back on your question several additional times over the next week or so. The professional moderator lefty will return in early next week to provide you with additional help and advice. As well other members reading and replying in this forum topic.

If you have additional questions or want to post any replies, use the reply button to do so. It will automatically move the question to the top of the list of questions.

Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-16-04 at 03:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: