frost heaved like crazy

Old 03-12-04, 01:06 PM
tobyo
Visiting Guest
Angry frost heaved like crazy

well it might be a world record.... my deck looks like someone put a jack under the middle and went nuts. ( it is about 8 inches up at the worst area!)... the feet are all crooked and pointing in different directions, one of the supports is completely off the footing,.....it's a mess.
Anyway I need to dig out the footings this summer and re-do it all.
The last owner put the deck on and i have no idea how deep he went.
My question.... are there good ways to insulate the new footings so i don't have to dig so deep?
I heard that there are ways to do this ( some guy in Vermont)and would love to hear about it. I am in NH and at about 1000 ft elevation. Don't know what the code recommends/requires.
thanks for any help.

Last edited by tobyo; 03-12-04 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-04, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Code requires that footings be a certain distance below grade. I have never heard of any exceptions for this (well I have, but you really don't want to get into that!).

I suspect you could put rigid insulation down to protect against frost, in theory it should work. In my practice we have laid insulation over sewer and water lines where we have not been able to get as deep as we wanted. We used a high compressive strength Dow insulation and extended 4' each side of the pipe, 8' total width; and in 2 layers with joints staggered.

Having said all that, I can't imagine an inspector letting you do that just to save a little hard work. Also, by the time you dig out enough for the insulation, it is probably easier to just dig the additional depth. I would suggest you just bite the bullet and do it right; then you know you won't have any problems.

Bruce

Old 03-13-04, 03:51 AM
tobyo
Visiting Guest
yup..... I don't mind the digging that much, but more worried I am going to run into rock before i get where i need to be! Heard there was a way to get around that with insulation.
thanks

Old 03-13-04, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bobcat with an auger -- let the iron do the work!! Most rocks won't present a problem that the machine can't handle.

Old 03-14-04, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tobyo:
When you talk about running into rock, are you talking about small boulders or are you talking about bedrock? Because if you are talking about bedrock, I'm quite sure you are going to be able to bear directly on bedrock as long as it's solid (not weathered and broken up).

Bruce

Old 03-14-04, 03:55 AM
tobyo
Visiting Guest
not sure what I may run into....... just hoping nothing!
yeah... liking the bobcat

Old 03-14-04, 05:20 AM
tobyo,

Depending on how many footings and how deep they have to be, some sort of power equipment is certainly worth considering. I mentioned the Bobcat, but there are lots of other options.

Check with a local rental yard and see what they have to offer, and at what price. (Posthole diggers, electric jackhammers, right on up to the Bobcat.) Also look in the service directory in your local newspaper, and in the Yellow Pages, under headings like 'Tractor Services', 'Posthole Drilling', etc. It may be cheaper to hire the holes dug than to rent the equipment and do it yourself.

Old 03-14-04, 05:53 AM
tobyo
Visiting Guest
yup.... I think I will have to do that. There are 5 footings, and the time to manually dig them is not possible. And of course that doesn't even address hoe to get the old footings out!... a sonotube full of cement proabably ways a few pounds!
Arghhh.... maybe I don't want a deck

Old 03-14-04, 06:10 AM
Leave the old footings where they are and put new ones in different spots.

How big is the deck? What size of beam(s) is being used between the footings, and how long are the spans? What size of joists are being used, and how far are they spanned?

Is anything (other than your pocketbook!!) limiting the size and shape that the new deck could be?

Old 03-14-04, 06:28 AM
tobyo
Visiting Guest
thanks lefty

it is pretty huge....... and as I am not at the house this week
( work travel ) I have no clue what the measurements are!
but guessing it is 10ft out from the house, 25ft long and about 8ft off the ground.
All the timber is in good shape cuz the last owner only built it a couple years ago.
so yup, I could just leavr the old footings.... but they are kinda in the "good" spots presently.
Anyway if I have a bobcat do the work, i suppose we can just put a chain on'em and heave!