Covered deck

Old 04-15-04, 09:39 AM
JamesnRhonda
Visiting Guest
Covered deck

I want to make a covered roof type deck and have not been able to find info on how it (the roof) would be attached to my existing roof. Any Ideas?

Old 04-15-04, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

One way (how I did it over a 6'X14' side deck:
1. Remove the fascia board (above the deck) of the main roof that slopes down to the deck.
2. Sister 2X4s for the deck roofing outer joists to the roof rafters under the existing roof to 4X4X8 pressure-treated posts set back 3/4" from the outer edge of the deck. Depending upon the width of the deck, set the outer 4X4s equidistant apart, but no more than 8' apart.
3. Attach 2X4s on both sides across the tops of the 4X4s to complete the outer frame of the deck roof.
4. Sister more 2X4s to each of the roof rafters to 12" past the outer 2X4 on the posts for overhang. Depending upon the slope, you may want to cut the ends of the 2X4s just as you would any roof rafter. This should give you a roof framing on 16" centers. Install hurricane clips on the framing to the deck roof rafters and L-shaped metal brakcets at the bottom of the posts to the deck, with no more than 3/4" nailed to the deck.
5. Lay plywood on the deck roof frame butted aginst the existing roof sheathing.
6. Once you have the deck roof sheathing in place, install 30-lb roofing felt on the deck roofing. When you reach the existing roof, slide the felt under the lower edges of the existing roofing, and then slide a solid piece of rolled metal roofing (flashing) over the felt at the break where the two roofs meet (and slid under the upper roofing). I used black plastic roofing cement under the flashing for extra seal.
7. Shingle the deck roof to match up with the existing roofing.
8. Use pressure-treated 1X6s to box in the 4X4 posts, and plywood or whatever you choose to box in the deck "ceiling" and eaves as you choose. The 3/4" post setback from the deck edge will make the 1X6 box even with the deck edge, and the 3/4" of metal bracket nailed to the deck will be concealed by the ripped-down side 1X6s.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: