Help! My dog ate my railing!

Old 04-19-04, 01:06 PM
JBynum
Visiting Guest
Angry Help! My dog ate my railing!

Don't laugh. I have a 14 mo old Akita who literally ate one of the spindles of my porch railing going after geckos (little Florida lizards).

I have extra spindles from when the railing was constructed but do really know how to go about replacing it (without dismantling the entire railing).

Any suggestions (other than shooting the dog) would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-04, 02:16 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
JBynum,

First, welcome to DoItYourself.com and the deck forum.

Second, DON'T shoot Akita -- it wasn't her fault. The lizards made her do it!! (Just ask her!)

Actually, it shouldn't be that difficult to replace the picket in the railing. Pictures would be helpful. Can you post one or two on a site like Photobucket or Yahoo! and give us the URL to the site?

Sight unseen, I'm going to guess that the railing was put together with screws. If that's the case, it's just a matter of figuring out what parts have to be removed to get to the picket. Then too, there almost as many ways to build a railing as there are decks with railings!

Old 04-19-04, 02:59 PM
JBynum
Visiting Guest
Hi, Lefty.

I'll try to get some photos tomorrow and post them. I'll respond when I get it done.

I would never shoot him, but at times I'd like to ring his 80 lb neck. Thank's to the squirrels, in addition to the railing problem, I also have a nicely aerated downspout. God, I love living in the country!!

Julie

Old 04-19-04, 04:12 PM
JBynum
Visiting Guest

I can never get the links to work properly, if you can give me some advice on this, I'll try again.

Old 04-19-04, 04:32 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Julie,

You're asking the wrong person why they won't work. E-mail them to me.

Mike

Last edited by lefty; 04-19-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Julie, Lefty,

I believe the links and images have been turned off.

Without the url, the address can be copied and posted in IE.

It looks like a new spindle can be put in place with a long brad from the top rail, then toenail a couple smaller brads from the spindle to the lower rail.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: