Porch Building Questions

Old 04-20-04, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch Building Questions

I'm currently planning a 24'x16' 3 season porch/hot tub room that will be attached to my garage. We decided to go with a poured concrete floor, so the walls will be attached with anchor bolts. I've never done this sort of construction before, but it seems pretty simple, anchor bolts every 16" along the perimeter plus the corners. I'm assuming these will be spaced so they will be centered between the studs, also 16" on center, so every 8" there will be a stud or a bolt. Is this the correct way to do it? What do you do if you want to put a patio door in? My first thought was to double up the footer, drill 3" holes for the nut & washer, then cut off the anchor bolt flush with the footer? Is there a better method?

What about windows? The way I drew out the plans for my windows, every single king stud will hit the bolts. I can move the windows a couple inches in one direction or the other if necessary. Or can I double up the footer in those areas as well? One last thing, in the corners where the walls meet, how does that work with the bolts? Will they be spaced far enough back so they don't run into the end studs, or am I going to have to do something special there too?

I apologize if these questions seem stupid. I'm not a builder, I fix computers. My knowledge of this is limited to what I learned from my dad and on home improvement shows. My brother and I are building this porch for my mom for her 50th birthday, and I took on the design responsibility as well. Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Old 04-21-04, 07:50 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
WHOA!!

First, if you are talking about using foundation bolts to attach framed walls to the slab, place them 6' apart -- NOT "every 16" along the perimeter..." You'll need one within 24" of each corner.

Lay out where the patio door is going to be on paper -- DON'T put any foundation bolts there. You'll need one within 24" of each side of the door opening.

Foundation bolts are placed in the forms of the slab, BEFORE the concrete is poured!! Simpson or USP make plastic holders to locate the bolts perfectly.

You lay out (on paper) the location of your doors and windows first, then figure out the location of the foundation bolts. You'll never hit a stud!!

Old 04-22-04, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks lefty, that makes my job a lot easier. The slab is going to be poured next Friday, I'll have the bolt locations marked on paper by then. I got the "16 inches on center" info from here:
http://www.blueprintforsafety.org/GIFS/01.gif

Old 04-22-04, 06:12 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Mthrboard,

I see what you saw, and you're right, it DOES say that. Guess whoever proofread the drawings missed it. Things happen.

Like I said -- a bolt within 2' of the corner along each wall, space the bolts "about" 6' apart (shorten that a few inches to miss the studs when you need to), a bolt within 2' of each side of every door opening (and none inside the door opening), and you'll be fine.

Simpson calls their anchor bolt holders "Anchormates" -- different color for various sizes of bolts. You will need the yellow ones for 1/2" bolts, or blue ones for 5/8" bolts.

Just looked through the comparison guide I have from USP -- (crossreferences their products and Simpsons), and they don't list any. You may or may not need that bit of info anyway. If you can get Simpson products where you're at (HD carries them, and I'm pretty sure Lowe's does too!), go with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: