Deck wash necessary?

Old 04-21-04, 08:06 AM
mil0
Visiting Guest
Deck wash necessary?

Is using a Deck Wash necessary on our 3 year old pressure treated porch prior to staining it, or will pressure washing alone be OK? The porch has never been stained or sealed before and I am worried about harming all of the foundation plants. If a deck cleaner is necessary, is there one that will do the job without hurting the plants? Thanks loads!

Last edited by mil0; 04-21-04 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-21-04, 02:42 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pressure wash is a bad idea. The pressure can easily chew thru the soft wood leaving a rough surface.
You wash your car before you wax it (I hope). Same with the deck. Start with a clean surface. Check the big box stores. They have biodegradable, plant safe cleaners. Give the deck plenty of drying time before applying the sealer.

Old 04-23-04, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A pressure washer used properly with the correct tip (40 degrees) and the correct amount of pressure and volume is a great tool for cleaning a pt deck. SYP is actually a fairly hard wood and will take considerably more pressure than cedar and redwood.

You probably won't find the best/safest deck cleaner at Lowes/HD. I've never seen sodium percarbonate there, but they sure push alot of harmful bleach(sodium hypochlorite). Go to a specialty paint store and ask for an oxygenated bleach for cleaning/brightening a pt deck. It will not harm your plants or grass. The water pressure from a pw can do more harm to a flower bed than the deck cleaner mentioned.
Besides aiding in cleaning, the oxygeanted bleach wil have the added effect of killing algae and mildew.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: