Flagstone patios

Old 04-25-04, 06:46 AM
saminats
Visiting Guest
Question Flagstone patios

I would like to get anyone's opinion of square drylay PA flagstone patios, such as their maintenance, durability, or any other issues we should keep in mind.

We live in a newly constructed neighborhood, where all our neighbors are either putting in low-maintenance decks or pavers. Although more $$$, we like the rustic, natural look of a stone patio and the added privacy one can create with shrubs, trees and other surrounding landscape. I just worry we may be making the wrong decision!

Thanks,
Sam

Old 04-28-04, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sam,

Depending on what you are desiring to do, the cost is more and is allot of work. Between the excavation and getting it ready for modified stone base, tamping, then adding sand, more tamping, then placing the stones. When using pattern flagstone for a dry-laid patio, the joints between the pieces can be a butt joint plus or minus 1/8".

When you put them in on a sand bed you should not try and do this using a cement joint. I have seen this done - bad thing! It will only need replacing in a short time do to movement, especially in a changing cold climate. It's a different story in a all year round warm climate area. Try using a coarse sand. There is a product called Polymeric Joint Sand you could use. It's not cheap but it is good. Finally, sweep the stone dust into the cracks to prevent shifting and insure a compact fit. I stress that in a 4 season climate, that you will experience shifting, how much is hard to tell but be aware of this.

It is best to use a penetrating sealer to ensure that you maintain the appearance as when it was first laid. These can be purchased in a wet or dry look. It is not maintenance-free but there is no doubt that it looks great!

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: