Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain?

Old 04-27-04, 08:48 AM
RDUN
Visiting Guest
Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain?

Does anyone here have any experience with the Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood stain?

I have a PT deck that currently has a semi-transparent UV stain that needs maintenance. I was considering stripping the deck and using the Defy Stain as it claims to have a longer life between recoating. Any info on this product would be aprreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-04, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RDUN,

Sorry that I can't say that I have not used this.

My only concern is that what they say or what you determine as "longer span before recoating" is troubling. When I read the product specs on what they feel is required for "maintaining" a deck, it says to recoat horizontal surfaces every 18 - 36 months, depending on foot traffic and environmental conditions. Vertical surfaces should be treated every 4 - 7 years or before wood starts graying. This is no different, for the most part, than most good products on the market. I will admit that the product is not cheap but it is another that would be at the top of my list to use.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-28-04, 10:35 PM
L
Doug,

Glad to see you back!!

RDUN,

I have never used the product. My stains/sealers of choice are SuperDeck, Silkens, Cabots, Wolmans, ... Ones I have used in the past and know how they work and how well they last. You know -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Old 04-28-04, 10:45 PM
Lefty,

I really was never gone! Just thought I'd answer a couple here, hope that was ok?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-04, 11:43 PM
L
Doug,

Of course it's OK!!

Guess I just never went to the right forums to bump into you! (With this new format, there are SO MANY! Who has time to hit them all??)

Old 04-29-04, 01:03 PM
RDUN
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. From all the information I've read here I came to the same conclusion as you . . . If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and purchased Cabots. I just saw a lot of propaganda on the web about the DEFY product (most seemingly from the same source "askthebuilder") and was curious. I decided I'd let someone else be the guinea pig.

Old 04-29-04, 01:44 PM
There are a couple differnet brands of epoxy fortified finishes out there now.
And both introduced less than two years ago. With the high price tag of the product it's difficult to find someone who has tried them. Thus the epoxy finishes are really untested. I've seen no reviews yet.

fred

Old 08-23-08, 09:04 AM
K
I do have experience with it, and it works great. In fact, here is the one I used: http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=6210710
Pretty nifty, hmm? Not too expensive either, I think I'm going to need another can soon.