Jacking up porch

Old 05-03-04, 08:57 PM
lucasm
Visiting Guest
Jacking up porch

Every few years I have to jack up my porch. The porch is 10 yrs old and was supposedly put in right (footing put in below the frostline).I know when I have to do it because I can't open up my screen door. Is there a permanent solution to this problem?

Old 05-03-04, 10:28 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you unable to open the door because the floor rises, or because the door sinks?? (Obviously the bottom of the door is colliding with the floor, which is why you can't open the door -- I want to know which one is moving!!)

Old 05-04-04, 03:23 PM
lucasm
Visiting Guest
jacking up porch

The porch ceiling is coming down on top of the top of the screen door. The ceiling is connected to the posts that lead into the footings. When I jack up the porch I am acually jacking up the ceiling up away from the top of the door. I just wondered if there is a permanent solution,aside from replacing the footings.

Thanks
Mark

Old 05-04-04, 11:51 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Mark,

Since the ceiling is coming down, it has NOTHING to do with frost. Your porch needs more support. Either the footings are too small, or they are too far apart. (Their DEPTH is probably fine)

Old 05-05-04, 02:41 AM
lucasm
Visiting Guest
jack up porch

I had a thought. I could jack up the porch to the proper level and place 4x4 supports on top of a concrete pad on top of ground in at least a couple of places and then take the jack away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: