Restaining deck

Old 05-07-04, 06:06 AM
MJR
Visiting Guest
Restaining deck

I purchased a house last year with a deck that was stained the same color as the house. The deck is in need of a restaining. I have tried to power wash off all the old stain but some still remains.

Is it necessary to remove all the old stain before restaining if I am planning to use a solid stain for the new color?

Old 05-07-04, 11:36 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stain penetrates the wood, and more into the soft areas of the wood than the hard areas. It will be more difficult to get the old stain out of the soft areas (it went in deeper), and these are the areas of the wood that are easiest to damage.

Restaining with spots of the old stain still showing is going to result in a splotchy finish if your new color is much different than the original. Using the same, or at least a very close color to the original will reduce the 'splotchy' effect.

Old 05-08-04, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Be aware that some solid 'stains' are latex or acrylic based. They will start to peel on the horizontals in the second year and the deck maintenance problem will be magnified.

fred

Old 05-21-04, 11:21 PM
chikky_poo
Visiting Guest
Question wondering the same thing

I had the same question about restaining my deck. The existing stain is not flaking or anything so I was wondering if it's okay to just stain over. I was planning to stain basically the same color in an opaque stain.

Old 05-22-04, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes you can, but the deck needs to be thoroughly cleaned first.

Only one drawback, do a water test first. Throw a small amount of water on the deck. If it beads water at all the deck should be stripped of the finish.
The reason for sometimes needing stripping is - if it repels water it may repel the finish stain.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: