Cleaning & Sealing Deck

Old 05-07-04, 05:43 PM
pvanlue
Visiting Guest
Question Cleaning & Sealing Deck

Our deck is large, multi-level and about 20 years old. It was built with green treated lumber. We have treated it with Thompson's Water Seal in the past (I know -mistake #1). Dirt sticks to the deck and you can't even walk on it without shoes - or sit on the benches. It is also starting to splinter. I want to power wash it to get it clean. I have scrubbed it with a brush a couple of times in an attempt to get it clean which has worked but is so labor intensive and I'm not so young anymore! So, will power washing be enough? Then what should we do with it after that? Does it need a sealer? Would staining be better? The nails are not all countersunk, so how would we go about sanding it?
Thanks!

Old 05-07-04, 11:31 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Power washing it with VERY LOW PRESSURE and a wide fan nozzle, and a flat angle (push the dirt away from you, NOT into the deck!!) will probably work. You only want to remove the dirt -- NOT etch into the wood.

A stain/sealer with UV protectants in it should be all you need to recoat the deck with -- SuperDeck, Cabot's Silkens, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: