new deck - how long to stain? seal?

Old 05-10-04, 04:12 PM
snowcrash
Visiting Guest
Question new deck - how long to stain? seal?

I just had a new ground level deck put on the back of my condo last friday. Its about 400sq. ft. made from grade A Southern pressure treated pine. I'm trying to figure out how long I have to wait to seal it. I don't want to stain it outright but might like a tinted sealant. The contractor said seal it right away (suggested sikken - don't know where to find this however) but everything I've read said anything from immediately to wait a year. So now I'm confused. Don't know a whole lot about decks other than its really nice and would like to keep it that way.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Old 05-10-04, 07:29 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, you will get suggestions that run the gamit. Mine is to stain and seal it right away (within a month or so of when it's finished).

Go to a paint store and get a couple gallons of Silkens, Cabot's, SuperDeck, Wolmans -- which ever they carry. If you choose to do it in 2 steps, stain first, then seal it. Or, you can pick a color and do it in one step. Talk to the pros at the paint store, and they will point you in the right direction.

Don't wait a year to do this!! By that time, the deck will have weathered and turned a color that you may not be able to get rid of -- probably grey.

Old 05-11-04, 05:06 AM
snowcrash
Visiting Guest
thanks

thanks. now if only it would stop raining

Old 05-22-04, 01:14 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 month might be a bit to soon. you don't want to put anything on a deck until the wood has cured. i usually recommend waiting ~2 months... but if the wood looks dry and doesn't have that green tint, you should be fine. sikkens is some of the best stuff on the market, if money isn't an issue, go with them. if you are trying to go with a bit cheaper, i'd put the ben moore transparent oil based stain on it... it comes in 4 or so tints, but still shows the nice grain in the wood. i personally think cabots is a bit overrated, ben moore/sikkens ect. have a better product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: