what to do under the deck?

Old 05-15-04, 01:21 PM
capn pacco
Visiting Guest
Question what to do under the deck?

I'm in design mode. There's just one step I can't seem to find an answer on: What do I do to the lawn under the deck? Leave it? Dig it out? Replace it with gravel?

I've also go a pre-fab swingset I'm gonna out up and have the same questions there? I realize pea gravel or other shock absorbing material is best, but can I just out the thing up for now on the lawn and dig it out later for the pea gravel?

Lastly, what's the best method for removing exisiting lawn? A spade and a strong back?

Thanks.

Old 05-16-04, 01:58 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your options depend on a number of factors. For example, how much clearance do you have between the deck and the ground? Do you plan to store anything under the deck? Rather than dig out the grass, you could consider a heavy membrane, perhaps several layers of roofing felt with layers of 3 - 5 mil plastic sheeting between them. Then cover with gravel for a finished look. Regardless of what you do, some dirt and weed seed will eventually get onto the gravel and the weeds will grow. At least they are fairly easy to pull. We toss some pre emergeance granules under our deck each year and it helps a bit.
I once had a deck built over a concrete patio which made a good storage area for junk. With a lattice skirt between the deck and ground, my "treasures" were hidden from view.

If the swing set is for the kids, I would just set it up over grass. They will probably out grow it in a few years and when you remove it, you will only have to do a little reseeding.

Old 05-16-04, 09:05 PM
capn pacco
Visiting Guest
The deck is going to be pretty low to the ground. I don't plan to store anything under it, nor do I think tha one will be able to see under it.

Does the mebrane you describe just get placed over the exisiting grass?

Thanks much

Old 05-16-04, 09:48 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The idea is to prevent weeds etc. from growing up through your deck. Just a little filtered light is enough to cause growth. You can cut out the sod but you still need a membrane between the ground and gravel. The choice of prep work is yours, but I would consider scalping the grass and applying a herbicide to kill off the existing vegatation. Then lay the membrane and gravel. It wouldn't hurt to add some pre emergant like Preen before you lay the membrane. This helps block seeds from attempting to sprout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: