Small Deck?

Old 05-16-04, 08:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small Deck?

Hi all, love the forums my first post within this one.

Looking at putting a small deck over the concrete steps and entrance at the front of my home.

The size would be about 4' x 7' rectangle with a 36" Door 6" from one corner and 36 to 48" 3 steps to the ground directly across the 4' width from the door. The side against the house however is only about 6" above the current concrete porch. The house is along the 7' length.

I've been using the Complete Home program called 3D Deck and it shows me using a beam of 4" x 6" under this deck? Being only 4' x 7' is that really needed with 2 x 6 joist and framing? Weight would basically be 200 to 250 lb person walking across it mainly.

Decking will be 5/4 x 6"

Should I be using/doing something different by chance? I want to do this thing right so all advice is appreciated.

Last edited by jvriffel; 05-16-04 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 09:09 PM
Homebuilt44
Visiting Guest
Smile Small Deck?

Jvriffel

A very good question!

A 4"x6" beam might be a little over size but I doubt it. The thing you want to think about in building your deck is not partial load = 1 person walking. The thing to think about is possible load. Think of what a fridge weighs now the cart moving it now 2 strapping guys getting it into your house. Now your talking about a possible load of more than 1000 lbs. I am glad you want to do it right. Your complete guide to decks is not steering you wrong, It sounds like a lot. But you have to think of a deck collapsing under possible heavy load conditions. The results can be a disaster in time and money if you lessin the engineering.

Keep up the good work

Old 05-16-04, 09:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wow, never thought of that one, great points and thanks!

so then should it be more than a 4" x 6" beam then?

Old 05-16-04, 09:42 PM
Homebuilt44
Visiting Guest
Cool Small Deck?

You should use the 4"X6" going bigger will be over kill. The more sturdy you build the deck and higher quality materials. The longer it will last and retain the beauty of your hard work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: