Paver patio and retaining wall

Old 05-18-04, 03:48 PM
dinologic
Visiting Guest
Paver patio and retaining wall

I've got a project planned out for a concrete paver patio in my backyard which has a slope of about 1' per 10'. I rented a backhoe/loader this past weekend and dug out the area where the patio will go. I'm planning to pave the area with concrete pavers and build retaining walls where necessary to maintain the new lay of the land. The patio should be about 15'x18' and the wall height should be 20-24" at its highest point.

I have yet to order any materials and I have a few questions regarding the retaining wall which I plan to build dry using interlocking blocks.

1. I've read many "tutorials" on how to build a dry retaining wall and each one seems to give different advice on how to construct the base. Some say a concrete base is necessary, others say gravel, and still others say crushed stone. What is best?

2. Some tutorials give examples on providing proper drainage for the wall. What's the best way to do that?

3. This should probably be my first question, but I was thinking I'd lay the patio first and build the retaining wall second but I am thinking now that I have it backwards. Should I build the wall first?

For your enjoyment, here's THE BIG HOLE IN MY BACKYARD as it stands today:
http://www.dinologic.com/photos_view...&rows=3&cols=4
If you feel like laughing at the amount of work I've commited to by doing this, feel free! I'm having a lot of fun with this myself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-04, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Build the base for the wall 4-6" thick out of shoulder stone, this is a mix of large and small stones and stone dust. gravel & crushed stone are the same.

I would just put gravel behind the wall and landscape fabric to keep the dirt out of the gravel there will not be that much water since the patio is going to meet it.

Build the wall first to establish the height and area of the patio.

Use the shoulder stone for the base of the patio and stone dust instead of sand.