Help me design and build a deck??

Old 05-28-04, 09:01 AM
ericschirm
Visiting Guest
Help me design and build a deck??

I currently have a 2nd story deck without stairs over my daylight basement. I would like to add a deck underneath my existing deck and add stairs to connect the two. My top deck is 10x20 and I would like have the same underneath with a little platform that connects the stairs with a little seating area.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/f881aa82.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/f881669d.jpg

Where should I put the stairs? It is 10ft from the top deck to where the bottom deck will be. Please confirm my math-

Vertical drop 120"
Number of steps= 17
Rise= 7.06 (120"/17)
Step run= 11.25" ????
Stairway path= 11.25 x 16 (treads)= span= 15ft

Does this look right? Should the step run be 11.25?

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS???

Last edited by ericschirm; 05-28-04 at 09:18 AM. Reason: bad image
Old 05-29-04, 10:49 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have to have landings too (3' X 3' minimum). Putting the steps along the wall of the house won't work -- the window is a problem. Don't want the stair stringers in front of it. (And it that is a bedroom window, you CAN'T have the stringer in front of it for egress reasons!!)

I only looked at the first picture. With a run of 15' and the need of 2 3' landings, your steps are going to have to have a corner in them someplace. I wouldn't kill the 20' side of the lower deck with stair stringers. I would extend the upper deck over 7' or 8' past the side of the house (3' wide) and use that extention for the stairs. Put in a set of U-turn steps. You'll need a 3' by 6' or 3' by 8' landing midway in the steps. And handrails on both sides.

Off of the lower deck, another set of steps to the back yard.

Old 05-31-04, 07:05 PM
ericschirm,

You're existing deck seems simple enough to do what you ask. The drawings however seemed confusing. Look at this link and see the 3D views that I drew of the deck.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/dougaphs/

Does this help?

Old 06-01-04, 09:11 AM
ericschirm
Visiting Guest
Wow thanks for the responses! I like the ideas of landings (small children at home). Doug- Your drawing is awesome! There is only so much I can do with Visio. I think I am going to follow your idea with one small change. I think I want to have the 1st stair set start on the right side of the deck and turn the corner with a landing. Then I will have it connect to the lower deck. This way it won't obstruct the entire basement window.

Again thanks for your replies.

Eric

DDDDDDDDDDDLL
DDDDDDDDDDDSS
DDDDDDDDDDDSS
DDDDDDDDDDDLL
DDDDDDSSSSSLL

D= Deck
S= Steps
L= Landing

Make sense?

Old 06-01-04, 10:37 AM
Eric,

You're very welcome! I thought the drawing would help as I felt it was a better layout and easy to show you what I was thinking. I hope I didn't alter any plans of attack that you might have had.

Let us know how you're coming!

Old 06-01-04, 09:32 PM
L
Doug,

As always, your drawings ARE awesome (I think Eric just said that!!) But I'm thinking like Eric -- a U-turn in the steps at the right side. OK -- he has to make the entire staircase 3' or 4' wider, but it doesn't obstruct the "view" from the window -- or, in my way of thinking, it doesn't kill the access to the backyard off of the "south" (or whatever side it is!!) side of the deck. Just another way of looking at it, but still a big "THANK YOU!!!"

Eric,

I was sure that Doug's input would help -- I just didn't expect such a great drawing. (Well, considering the source, I SHOULD HAVE!!)

Old 06-01-04, 11:20 PM
lefty,

Thanks very much for the great review! As Eric was asking about and you advised me as well, is this what you guys were talking about?

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pic...deck+w+stairs/

My only concern was property side setbacks. If this isn't an issue, please disregard the question.

Hope this does it!

Old 06-02-04, 05:29 AM
ericschirm
Visiting Guest
Man I love those drawings! What program do you use?

Your last one was close but I am thinking of this-

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/f86f70c6.jpg

What do you think? I know it will block a little of the window but I wouldn't mind extra privacy on the lower deck. Eventually I might use lattice to block the view to the side.

BTW- We have about 25 ft to play with on the side of the house.

Old 06-02-04, 10:49 AM
Eric,

Hope this is close. Look at Ver 3 - 2 versions

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pic...DECK+W+STAIRS/

I use Softplan, about $3,000 then upgrades every 2 years. As with most software packages, from inexpensive ones that are $30.00 right on up, there is a learning curve and what each program can and can't do is critical. By learning curve, I am not talking about a day or 2, I mean years. Many users of CAD systems have to learn numerous issues. Heck, they even have schools that can last 2 years or more just to get acclimated to use them. When you don't use it every day, you forget how to do things.

Just because the program looks good, 3D I mean, I claim not to be that proficient at doing 3D. It was not until over a year ago that I started to do 3D's for clients as it is time consuming and we all know what ink costs for inkjets! I always focus on how something is built and what the contractors need to get it done right with no errors on my drawings from the City. So for many years, 2D was the only thing I did. I also cahrge more for 3D's and for obvious reasons.

I'm glad you have room but that doesn't tell me what the setback requirements are within your area. This should be known before continuing with your project. Just speaking from experience.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-02-04, 11:30 AM
ericschirm
Visiting Guest
Doug- THAT IS PERFECT. It was exactly what I was invisioning. That software package is awesome. I do software development so I am always interested in different packages.

The DRY-B-LO type systems look very cool. I would love to do that to my deck but I think it will be down the road (too expensive right now). Thanks for the links.

Again thanks for taking your time to do this for me.

Eric

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: