Deck Restoration

Old 05-30-04, 07:25 PM
pcaulfie
Visiting Guest
Deck Restoration

My deck's previous homeowner stained and sealed the deck using Sikkens Cetol DEK system. Unfortunately, the undersides of the lower and upper levels were not sealed and over time the finish started to peel and crack. I just bought the place and looks like no maintenance has been done in the past 8 years.

I used a sealant/stain remover, scrubbed, then power washed the deck. I was able to get the finish off but the wood doesn't look too great. I'm assuming that I'll need to restain with the same dark color that was on there to hide blemishes? I don't really want to reapply Sikkens because I can't get underneath the lower deck to seal.

What would you recommend I use to hide the irregularities in the wood? When the wood is wet it looks nice, no spots or hints of leftover stain. When it is dry it looks pretty bad, I notice all kinds of blemishes. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-31-04, 07:23 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First pcaulfie, welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Deck forum.

I don't see where not being able to get under the lower deck to seal it is that much of an issue. Many decks are built without access to the underside.

A dark stain will probably do a reasonable job of hiding the blemishes you are talking about. Silkens, Cabot's, SuperDeck, ... Go to a lumberyard or paint store and get a quality stain/sealer. You'll be happier with the results, and it will last longer than using a lesser quality product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: