Sanding 900 s.f. of cedar deck

Old 05-31-04, 09:24 PM
bektek
Visiting Guest
Sanding 900 s.f. of cedar deck

Hello--I had a new cedar deck built a year ago and wasn't able to seal it before the worst rain and mildew season in 20 years hit...the deck is two levels, pretty big at 900 s.f., railing all around...it went from that beautiful new cedar glow last year to completely deep gray this year...I had pretty good luck last week cleaning it with a deck cleaner and power washer, but it still has some gray tucked in the grain, is splotchy, and the knots are very dark...I was very careful with the pressure washer, but there is some fuzz...I think this might also be residual wood left from removing such a thick layer of mildew (the deck was completely, solid black after I applied the cleaner, which had a little sodium hydroxide in it)...bottom line is I want to sand it, to try to get back as close as possible to that new cedar "pop," and then seal it with something clear or natural to keep that feel...I tested a small area with a 1/3 sheet pad sander and some 80 and 60 grit paper, which looks like it will help moderately, but I can't imagine spending 20+ hours with knee pads on doing this...I gotta get this thing sanded and sealed ASAP...can I use a floor sander for this? I'm pretty good with tools but never used a floor sander...I also tried some wood brightener on some test boards, which didn't help much...also, I've read in some posts that Sikkens (sp?) is a good product? Which one would you recommend to keep that new wet cedar glow look, or perhaps a shade darker? Clear? Natural? Honey? Any help on this is greatly appreciated
Mark

Old 05-31-04, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Mark,

That fuzzy look is normal when wood is cleaned with a pressure washer.

Sanding is what is needed but a floor sander wouldn't be the best choice.
The pad is normally about 18" square which would cover at times three boards if the deck is 2 x6 material. This would leave the sander having to take off a fair bit of material to make the surface even.
A random orbital sander would likely be the best tool.

Those gel type knee pads are pretty good I hear.

Old 06-01-04, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An Oxalic acid cleaner/brightener would have been the best choice for cleaning cedar.
As mentioned, any ROS with 80 grit should remove any 'fuzzing'. De-burring pads also work well in most cases.

The clearer your stain choice is the less UV protection you will receive.
A slightly toned oilbase stain finish will keep the cedar from greying as rapidly.

fred

Old 06-02-04, 02:13 PM
sramponi
Visiting Guest
same issue

I have the exact same issue, can you email me with any solutions... sramponi@optimaleng.com. Thanks so much

Originally Posted by bektek
Hello--I had a new cedar deck built a year ago and wasn't able to seal it before the worst rain and mildew season in 20 years hit...the deck is two levels, pretty big at 900 s.f., railing all around...it went from that beautiful new cedar glow last year to completely deep gray this year...I had pretty good luck last week cleaning it with a deck cleaner and power washer, but it still has some gray tucked in the grain, is splotchy, and the knots are very dark...I was very careful with the pressure washer, but there is some fuzz...I think this might also be residual wood left from removing such a thick layer of mildew (the deck was completely, solid black after I applied the cleaner, which had a little sodium hydroxide in it)...bottom line is I want to sand it, to try to get back as close as possible to that new cedar "pop," and then seal it with something clear or natural to keep that feel...I tested a small area with a 1/3 sheet pad sander and some 80 and 60 grit paper, which looks like it will help moderately, but I can't imagine spending 20+ hours with knee pads on doing this...I gotta get this thing sanded and sealed ASAP...can I use a floor sander for this? I'm pretty good with tools but never used a floor sander...I also tried some wood brightener on some test boards, which didn't help much...also, I've read in some posts that Sikkens (sp?) is a good product? Which one would you recommend to keep that new wet cedar glow look, or perhaps a shade darker? Clear? Natural? Honey? Any help on this is greatly appreciated
Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: