Restoring Existing Deck

Old 06-02-04, 07:47 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restoring Existing Deck

I have a 16' x 16' deck that is made from 2" x 6" s. My question is this,,, rather than rip up these 2"x6"x16's, can I just lay 5/4 board down on top of the existing deck? The current boards run east & west,,,I was thinking of running the 5/4 board, north & south?????? Is this idea just a major "no-no"??? What potential problems could I run into, while attempting this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-02-04, 11:10 PM
L
You'll have VERY large areas of wood-to-wood contact, which will collect and trap moisture, which will cause both boards to rot. BAD PLAN!!

If the 2X6's have served their useful purpose and need to be replaced, then replace them! If you go to 5/4 over the existing frame, you'll probably have to add a new joist between each of the existing ones. Otherwise, your deck will have a lot of 'bounce'.

And, if your deck is like most, once you tear off the 2X6's, you'll be looking at rot on the joists, and probably rot on the beams and posts as well. I have torn into hundreds of decks where the owner was thinking 'just replace the deck boards' -- I can only think of two times that that actually wound up being the case!!!

Old 06-03-04, 07:05 AM
W
Ok,, now that I got the skinny on the "lay over" plan. When I tear up the 2x6's and find that some of the beams have rot, can I just leave those there and put in new beams?? The beams are currently spaced 16". Is 16" too large of a space for 5/4 board?? Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-05-04, 08:27 PM
L
16" O.C. is fine for 5/4 decking -- the maximum, but fine.

If you find where the top edge of you joist(s) have rotted, use a Sawzall and cut off the top couple of inches of the joist, then sister a 2X6 on each side of it. That's one way. The other, especially if you find several in a row, would be to cut off the top couple of inches, then add a new 2X6 joist half way between the existing ones. This maintains your 16" O.C. spacing, and only takes half as many 2X6's to do.

Old 06-06-04, 06:19 AM
I just went through this with a 10x28' deck. If you find joists rotted, just cut them out and replace them. If you find more then 30-40% of the joists are bad, i would tear the whole thing down and start over. Thats what i landed up doing. Do it right the first time, might cost a bit more, but better then redoing it again in a short amount of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: