HELP! raised patio question

Old 06-03-04, 08:58 AM
up a creek
Visiting Guest
Unhappy HELP! raised patio question

I hope someone can help me I put in a raised patio 24'' high at its highest point about 8'' at lowest (at the house) deck slope is 1'' or more per 10' ,water on the deck is not the propblem but water coming from under the deck at the edge is. I did not put in any drain pipe at the leading edge of the deck on the inside when i buildt it becouse it was only 2' high and i think its coming back to bit me in butt, I did drill 1'' holes at the base of the wall but the water still seaping from under it and killing the grass. I think that i will have dig up the leading edge of the wall and dig down to the bottom and put 4'' drain pipe,but unsure if this will help. The paito size is 25 by 32. and by the way we did have 8.5" of rain for the last month. Just a thought, could I put the drain pipe on the outside of the wall on the bottom. My ground is soild clay.

Old 06-05-04, 11:25 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a drain, and the best place for it is BEHIND the retaining wall, so that it relieves the water pressure on the wall. Make the trench about 1-1/2' to 2' wide, and fill it with rocks, NOT your clay soil, so that the water can get through it.

Old 06-07-04, 10:17 AM
up a creek
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty, I thought that i was going to have to do that but just needed someone to tell me. I did use 21aa for fill (no clay)or dirt. Am i going to need the drain with the sock on it or just the one with holes (no sock). And do i need to go down futher then the wall. Its extends 3'' under the ground for the first course. thanks alot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: