Attaching Angled Beams to Post

Old 06-04-04, 06:18 AM
andyhix
Visiting Guest
Attaching Angled Beams to Post

Hi, I'm currently working on a deck. At one point, there are two beams that meet (end to end) at a 45 deg. angle directly over a 4x4 post. I can't seem to find any hardware that is suitable for this connection. Everywhere else, I am using standard Galvanized post-beam caps. The beams are doubled 2x8's, with a 1/2" spacer between them, so they are essentially 4x's, if that helps you visualize it. Can I use a flexible angle brace, and then toe nail to the beam? what to do...

Old 06-05-04, 07:15 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The beams shouldn't have met directly over the post. Each beam needs a post within 2' of this corner, and each beam then cantelevers into it. Then you could toe-nail or use nailing plates to tie the beams together if you felt you needed to.

Old 06-05-04, 07:51 AM
andyhix
Visiting Guest
actually my first post was maybe misleading. its actually a 135 deg angle. This was required because the corner of the deck is mitered at a similar 135 deg angle. so there is a short beam that runs parralel to the corner area. its cantalevered on the one end, and shares a post on the other. Maybe that just complicated the explaination more....

Old 06-05-04, 10:59 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
andyhix,

I was fairly sure that you were really talking about a 135 degree angle. (Not too many decks have 45 degree corners, but many have 135 degree corners.) The solution is still the same. Where these 2 beams meet, you want a post under each beam, back about 2' from the joint, and let each beam cantelever into that joint. Then toe-nail the joint together, and add nailing plates if you feel the need to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: