Fixing a splintering deck

Old 06-04-04, 10:25 AM
GForce22
Visiting Guest
Fixing a splintering deck

I purchased my home 2 years ago. It has a nice deck in the back, but the wood isn't in the best shape, it's cracked and splintered at parts, likely because the last owner didn't waterproof it correctly. It's by no means falling apart, but it's not in the shape I would like. I have heard though that powerwashing a deck in this shape is a bad idea. Also, power sanding it is not necessarily the best thing either.

Is there anything I can do to get the deck in the shape I want it? I just had the yard itself done nicely and landscaped. Would love for the deck to be as nice as the rest.

Thanks for any help you can give.

GH

Old 06-04-04, 06:02 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GForce22,

Neither a power washer nor a sander are going to revive deck boards that are cracked and splintered. The only thing that will get them into the shape you would like and that you are going to be happy living with is probably replacement. Assuming that the rest of the structure is in as good of shape as you think it is, replacing just the deck boards isn't going to be all that expensive (relative to the cost of replacing the entire deck!!), and it's something you could do 10 or 20 boards at a time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: