How long to wait for 2nd coat of deck sealer?

Old 06-07-04, 08:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long to wait for 2nd coat of deck sealer?

10 year old redwood deck 20X20, that has been treated and sealed every couple of years. Last time, I used a colored Thompsons product (Honey Gold)and hated it from the moment it went on. Power washed it and this time applied a Serwins Williams waterborne product called Deckscapes clear. The instructions said to apply any second coat within 2 hours, or "wait until the surface has weathered." I would like to apply a second coat, but due to configuration of deck can only get one good coat at a time. First coat looks pretty good, but you never know about deck sealers. I don't want to apply a second coat and have the stuff just sitting on the top of the wood. That's worse than no sealer IMO.

How long should I wait until I reapply?

Old 06-08-04, 12:55 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I understand your dislike for the first product you used. The second one sounds only marginally better! Obviously, a second coat within 2 hours wasn't an option -- so what do they mean by "weathered"??? A couple of weeks? A couple of years?? I have no clue. Might be time for the pressure washer again. Next time, use a ONE COAT product -- Silkens, SuperDeck, Cabot's, ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: