Treated Lumber vs. Cedar

Old 06-07-04, 04:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Treated Lumber vs. Cedar

I'm getting ready to build a wood elevated play structure for my kids, with a sand box underneith. After looking into lumber prices, I've determined that Cedar is 1 1/2 to 2 times as expensive as pressure treated lumber (ACQ (alkaline copper quat)). Therefore, I'm leaning toward using PT lumber for the structure.

Do any of the forum members/readers have experience in this area? I've been told that the new pressure treated lumber is perfectly safe for use on play equipment, since it doesn't use arsenic anymore. I know I'll have to use special screws and hangers, and that's fine, because the total cost will still be less than if I use cedar (no one around here even stocks redwood right now because it's so darn expensive!).

Any thoughts?

-Thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-04, 11:30 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personally, I would probably use a composite. Very low maintenance, no slivers, and no chemicals.

Old 06-08-04, 10:51 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
The new treatment is supposed to not be hazardous to your health, but then again so was smoking, asbestos, ...

Lefty had a good idea going with composite. Some of the composites are relatively comparable to PT.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: