Name of the Spanish-style Patio Roof Used in Southwest?

Old 06-07-04, 07:31 PM
LeeB
Visiting Guest
Name of the Spanish-style Patio Roof Used in Southwest?

undefinedI need some help here, folks. This should be real simple, but my mind has gone blank. What I'm picturing is a patio with a roof/ceiling in the Spanish style made of horizontal wooden poles, usually hand hewn, generally left natural rather than painted. Newer versions use 2"x6" horizontals with them fixed vertically. They are spaced about a foot apart to allow some sun through but also shade nicely. Often they are covered with flowering vines. In the SouthEast Coastal areas, I often see them painted white, with the horizontal pieces having the ends cut in a fluted design.

I'd like to get plans to build one, but first I sorta need to know what they're called...

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
LeeB

Old 06-07-04, 10:57 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know WHAT you are talking about -- I just can't recall ever hearing a name for them. Lattice or even a trellis, maybe??

Old 06-08-04, 12:37 PM
regiopazzo
Visiting Guest
pergola, perhaps?

I think you may be referring to a "pergola". No guarantees on the spelling, though!

Hope this helps!

Old 06-09-04, 06:53 PM
LeeB
Visiting Guest
Well, the consensus seems to be 'pergola'. After looking up a few photos, that is indeed what I am speaking of. But, I keep thinking there is a Spanish name for the old style. Oh, well. Thanks all!

Old 06-24-04, 06:49 PM
annsilbert
Visiting Guest
Smile Spanish name for pergola

The "roof" you have described is called a "Ramada" in the Southwest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: