Name of the Spanish-style Patio Roof Used in Southwest?


Old 06-07-04, 07:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Name of the Spanish-style Patio Roof Used in Southwest?

undefinedI need some help here, folks. This should be real simple, but my mind has gone blank. What I'm picturing is a patio with a roof/ceiling in the Spanish style made of horizontal wooden poles, usually hand hewn, generally left natural rather than painted. Newer versions use 2"x6" horizontals with them fixed vertically. They are spaced about a foot apart to allow some sun through but also shade nicely. Often they are covered with flowering vines. In the SouthEast Coastal areas, I often see them painted white, with the horizontal pieces having the ends cut in a fluted design.

I'd like to get plans to build one, but first I sorta need to know what they're called...

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 06-07-04, 10:57 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 9,238
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know WHAT you are talking about -- I just can't recall ever hearing a name for them. Lattice or even a trellis, maybe??
Old 06-08-04, 12:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
pergola, perhaps?

I think you may be referring to a "pergola". No guarantees on the spelling, though!

Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-04, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Well, the consensus seems to be 'pergola'. After looking up a few photos, that is indeed what I am speaking of. But, I keep thinking there is a Spanish name for the old style. Oh, well. Thanks all!
Old 06-24-04, 06:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Spanish name for pergola

The "roof" you have described is called a "Ramada" in the Southwest.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: