Advice on contractor

Old 06-09-04, 03:16 PM
jingdjh
Visiting Guest
Advice on contractor

Anyone here ever heard of Premeir Builders Home Improvements?
Lowe's qouted me $2,100 for all of the materilas. This company qouted $2,300 for material and labor. The deck is 12x12 with stairs and eight feet off the ground, with stairs.
The next contractor to bid was almost double the price, so I got a little leary.
Also, they have to cut through a concrete patio to pur the footers.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-04, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its best to do as much research on any contractor you intend to hire Do they have insurance and workers comp? Did they provide you with a written estimate describing the materials and method they would be using? Ask for references for similar work and check with the better business bureau. Call your city hall and find out if this company is registered and bonded with the city. I would advise getting at least one more bid from another contractor as well and compare the two closest prices. Hope this helps and good luck

Old 06-09-04, 10:33 PM
L
Let me make sure I've got this right. Lowe's told you $2100 for the material to build this deck, and you found a contractor that will do it for $2300 -- LABOR AND MATERIAL????

Sorry, that doesn't even rate a comment!!!!

Old 06-10-04, 09:53 AM
jingdjh
Visiting Guest
Yea lefty, you got it right. But why no comment?

Old 06-10-04, 02:02 PM
Uhm.. materials are 2100
low bid is 2300
lefty didnt comment
bottom line: go with the low bid and you will be a candidate for the 'heres your sign' jokes.

When $200 is the difference between product and bid it is a sure sign something is really wrong. I would throw that bid out the window. Either they overlooked something and will be hitting you for extras or they are con artists or the estimator was drunk. RUN..

Old 06-10-04, 03:57 PM
jingdjh
Visiting Guest
That's pretty much the concensus I have been getting. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-10-04, 11:11 PM
L
jingdjh,

Why "No comment"?? Man, I had about 30 good comments lined up, but every single one of them would have gotten me kicked outta here!!

Hey -- it doesn't pay very well, but I DO like my job!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: