deck on driveway

Old 06-11-04, 11:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck on driveway

I'm considering building a small deck out my front door. The driveway runs directly to the front door, so I was wondering if it is ok to build a deck directly on the driveway. The deck would be apporoximately 12' x 12'.

Also, if I do this, I was wondering if it matters if I don't actually attach the deck to the house. Where the deck will go, the house will actually be on 2 sides of the deck, and putting a ledger on would block the ventilation holes under the house.

Thanks for any information you have.

Chris

Old 06-11-04, 06:27 PM
You could make a free standing deck. But you must also put concrete pillars in to the depth required by local building code, so you will have to chop out some blacktop.

Old 06-11-04, 06:56 PM
L
ctmal,

There is not reason why you HAVE to attach the ledgers to the house walls -- a freestanding deck will work just fine, provided that it is properly cross-braced.

Like hellrazor said tho -- you will have to cut through the driveway (blacktop or concrete) to get your footings and pier blocks in.

The vents are not an issue. IF you do decide to attach the deck to the house with ledgers, you simply break the ledgers at the vents. Don't ledger over a vent -- the ledger ends on each side of it. When you lay out your joists, some will probably land in a vent. No problem. You simply go out about a foot and block between the adjacent joists, and THAT is where the middle joist will attach.

Old 06-12-04, 05:36 AM
Icemancomth
Visiting Guest
Have you thought about bocks on top without digging

ctmal,

If you go the the forums at deckplans.com and and go to the gallary you will see some decks that were built on top of concrete slabs using dek-blocks. They are made for floating decks which you want to build. I used them to build my pool deck and they work well. I do not know what your building code is in your area so you should check first. But I do not see a probelm unless your deck will be over 60 inches. I have some photos I posted at my web page so you can see how they worked for me. My site is at "http://decks.hemmihgsjones.com" Just copy the link omitting the quotation marks.

Ice

Old 06-12-04, 07:14 AM
I have a problem with a floating deck like that against a house. If it was in the middle of the yard, ok. Unless the slab was pinned to the foundation and depending on how you design your deck, you could land up with your doors stuck shut in the winter from the frost heaving the slab.

Old 06-12-04, 01:59 PM
Icemancomth
Visiting Guest
Yes if entrance is less then 1 1/2 inches

I have seen other floating decks next to houses. The frost heave should be about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. If the clearing to the entrance is less than that then yes I agree. If you go to deckplans.com and go to the gallery you will see a great examples of what I am talking about. Check it out you might change your mind

Old 06-12-04, 02:20 PM
I know what you are talking about, just pointing out the pitfalls of someone who doesn't want a step between the house and the deck. I have seen people who have the door sills sitting right on the deck. Plus i am not sure if putting a deck on a slab like that meets code requirements.

I need to get a copy of the universal building code since PA just adopted it as madatory state wide beginning this month.

Old 06-13-04, 11:12 AM
C
One more question

Lot's of great information here, thanks. Reading all of your information, I think the floating deck idea is out. My deck would only be about 6 inches high, and with the floating decks, apparently the minimum you could get was about 13 inches. Also, the deck will be within 1 inch of the door opening, so swelling would be an issue.

I think with the ledger information on getting around the vents, that is the route I should go. I will just have to dig through the driveway to install the footings. It might be a little more work, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

One last question. The deck will be a square with 2 sides against the house. Should I put a ledger on both sides, or can I get away with just one?

Once again, thank you all for your input.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: