Wood filler to patch deck splits/cracks?

Old 06-18-04, 06:27 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wood filler to patch deck splits/cracks?

I was wondering if it is a good idea to fill in the very minor cracks or splits on the deck floor and bannister using wood filler. This of course would be done after cleaning/stripping on the deck. The cracks are no wider than 10 sheets of notebook paper thick. But length wise, a couple of feet to several feet. I don't want to flip the boards or replace because I feel they are still in good condition.

Currently there is Behr Semi-Transparent stain on the deck which the stain is 2 years old. I plan to strip the stain and power wash 1600 psi. Let dry for a couple days and apply the wood filler in the cracks. Let dry, sand (80 or 100 grit), wipe the dust, and stain with Sikkens.

Does anybody know a reason not to use wood filler? And what kind of wood filler to use?

Thanks!
Ronnie

Old 06-18-04, 07:22 AM
Wood filler probably won't hold, it will eventually pop out.
And, most fillers won't accept stain properly, it will end up looking worse than the cracks themselves.

IMHO,
fred

Old 06-21-04, 11:31 AM
H
So it's sounds like there is only two alternatives: 1. replace the floor boards and bannister or, 2) flip them if not in bad condition.

Thanks again Fred for your advice!

Ronnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: