Just moved in, what to do with deck?

Old 06-28-04, 12:42 PM
rsw
Visiting Guest
Just moved in, what to do with deck?

Hi there, need help with the deck - I think there's a solid stain (or paint) on there because we've tried to get it off with two applications of stripper and several sections just aren't moving. They used to be a light brown, now they're white. Do we have to paint over them, really don't want to - will a solid stain instead, cover well over the parts that didn't get down to the bare wood? Our original intention was to strip it all down, use a 'brightener' and then restain it in a semi-transparent, but info I've gathered seems to advise against using a semi on an 'older' deck. The deck is also subject to a lot of sun, what is your advice? (please don't be shy in recommending specific products)

Old 06-28-04, 09:11 PM
deankubiak
Visiting Guest
I had the same situation as you!

My deck is over 7 years old and the previous owner didn't do anything to it except try to restain one small area and decided he didn't like it. So I had a deck that was two different colors of stain.

One Question:
What brand of Stripper did you use?

The first one I used was Thompson's deck wash - it did absolutely NOTHING! It was just a cleaner w/o a stripper. I learned quickly the result is definitely proportionate to the price of product being used.

So I went out and spent A LOT more money on Cabot's Problem Solver Wood Stripper. I poured it in a bucket and applied it (to the DRY deck) with a deck brush and left it on for 15 or 20 minutes then rinsed it off with the garden hose. I didn't even need my powerwasher. When the whole deck was done I used Cabot's Deck Brightener to neutralize the stripper. IT WORKED GREAT!! There is no sign of old stain anywhere on the deck (Except a few spots I missed with the stripper). The Cabot's was about $28 a gallon (covers about 200 sq feet depending on how heavy you apply) at the local hardware store (the big places don't carry it) but worth every penny versus the T's that was $2.97 a gallon. The stipper will darken your deck until you apply the deck brightener.

I will be staining it this weekend with Cabot's #3000 Natural Clear Deck Oil. It is not as durable as a Semi Transparent but it is A LOT easier to apply. Semi Transparents will last 3 or 4 years but they tend to be more difficult to apply and can leave brush marks and a roller isn't recommended. I would rather just stain the deck once a year than screw up the initial stain and have to strip it again. The Cabot's #3000 is about $28 a gallon as well and will cover about 250 sq feet.

Good Luck! I hope this helps. I got all my info from other folks on this sight so if my experience hasn't helped - somebody else's definitely will!

Old 06-28-04, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good advice from Dean!!

Only one minor comment. A penetrating oil stain can be rolled on, but you may need a little back-brushing to eliminate any puddling or get it between boards, etc. The roller with a broom handle while standing beats all the crawling.

fred

Old 06-28-04, 11:13 PM
rsw
Visiting Guest
Thank you

I'll be looking for Cabot's products in my area. Got another question though, when you say 'restain every year' does that mean repeating the whole process? While I'm typing this I'm thinking maybe it'll depend on what the deck looks like, but what I'd like to hear is that all I'll need to do is just roll on a new coat of the finishing product. Any chance of that?

Old 06-29-04, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rsw,
Depending on the deck surroundings and exposure, the Cabots could last 3 to maybe 4 yrs. I haven't read a Cabots direction label in a couple years.
They may allow an overcoat without stripping again. But even after one year it would still need to be cleaned again before any repeat coat.
Please follow the directions for application closely.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: