Anyone with a 3-5 year old composite deck?

Old 06-29-04, 06:15 AM
79renegade
Visiting Guest
Anyone with a 3-5 year old composite deck?

I have been researching composites(reading everything I can) for the last 3 months,leaning towards WeatherBest,ChoiceDek and Timbertech.
How bad do these fade? I understand they will lighten, but will they look bad in 5 years?
We are going with a gray color and have seen some that have actually turned white/silver. It's difficult to get info or see actual decks in the rural area that were in.

I really don't want to go with pressure treated , but at least you can stain every couple years to help renew the color.(ya, I know, more maintenance!)

Any help or info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-04, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From what I've seen, all composites fade more then you think they will. I was quite shocked how much a piece of Saddle Trex and a piece of Tan Certainteed Boardwalk faded over the last few months. The color is still there, just not what it was originally.

If you're going with grey, you are in much better shape. The greys will fade to... lighter grey. The white/silver you are talking about depends on the manufacturer. Trex also has a Natural color which starts out brown but fades to a driftwood color. I have seen faded Trex Grey and it looked pretty good - still very good saturation. I've never seen any of the composites you mentioned in their faded form, so I can't help you there.

Old 07-23-04, 04:19 PM
8888nt
Visiting Guest
I found this link to a manufacturer who makes a stain for composite decks because of the fading problems. Check it out www.messmers.com

Old 08-05-04, 09:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wood flour base composites fade and many fade badly

Wood flour based composites (99% of composites are made from wood) fade and stain. I used a composite on my railings that looks a lot like leprous skin. (You would recognize the name, but I don't want to say it here) I poured straight Clorox on it, let it sit, and pressure washed it up close (like they tell you NOT to do): Nothing. Nada. Did not touch the stains.

I have written a lot of information about this issue on my website at xxxxxxxxxxxx, including a link to the national Class Action Suit Against Trex. You really should read this before investing a lot of money in a wood flour based composite.

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-20-04 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Link to personal commercial website
Old 08-05-04, 01:09 PM
That entire site is nothing but a big advertisement for Geodeck and offers absolutely no proof to the claims that are made. The only useful piece of information is the link to the class action suit against Trex.

Here is the link, so nobody else has to suffer through the half-truths presented on composite-decks.com.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040602/nyw119_1.html

Old 08-05-04, 02:16 PM
Proof wood flour composites fade and stain...

Well, now, I wouldn't be too hasty if I were you: The claims are what? That wood flour based composites fade? and that GeoDeck is not a wood flour based composite and does not fade like the others? Actually, the site at www.composite-decks.com offers a considerable amount of substantiation for the claims that are made. Personal testimony, advertisements in a national trade magazine that do NOT mention anything about not fading, the national class action suit against Trex, that GeoDeck is made from a byproduct of rice stalks (not wood flour) and 5 year photos of GeoDeck compared to new GeoDeck showing virtually no fading just to name five (5).

If you are interested in buying a beautiful composite for your deck, porch or gazebo... only to have it fade terribly and perhaps stain as well... becoming something you cannot stand... then by all means, don't suffer through www.composite-decks.com. But if there is someone who would appreciate knowing that there is an alternative to wood flour based (fading/staining) composites, then please visit. Your replies and input are all welcome... even if you disagree.

-- Mike

Old 08-05-04, 06:25 PM
I just worked with Geodecking... stuff is nice.

Old 08-06-04, 06:13 AM
GeoDeck good to work with

I agree. One of the deck firms I sell for in VA told me recently that he finished a porch floor with GeoDeck. It had been raining that week and the crew had tracked our good ole Virginia clay all over the GeoDeck floor. It was a mess. If you've ever worked with pressure treated, you know that wet va clay will actually stain the wood to where you've got to use a pressure washer and chemicals in some cases to get it out. He said he took the customer's garden hose and washed it clean. He was impressed.

Old 08-14-04, 11:56 AM
blindrid
Visiting Guest
Been there

I've built five decks using a variety of brands ranging from trex to GeoDeck and one other I can't remember. They all were grey and if anything any fading actually improved the color. I 've had grease stains on the deck and a light sanding took the stain off. After having wood decks, I wouldn't flinch about using composites. That's even with the severe UV that Colorado climates bring. Good luck...R