Tongue and Groove Porch Decking

Old 07-07-04, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tongue and Groove Porch Decking

We are replacing a T&G porch floor about 9.5' x 25' . There is substantial rotting due to shoddy repairs and leaks. We have a large old 1906 house here in a Pittsburgh city neighborhood.

Is there still T&G decking out there priced reasonably, and if so, any ideas on how much I can expect square footage such as this to go for and/or sources out there?

I am also open to alternatives with regard to materials.

Thanks to all!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 12:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may be able to find a source for pressure-treated (p-t) T&G. If you do, you will probably have to special-order it. I would stick with wood on an historical age home, rather than go with some of the new synthetic decking materials.
If not, you might consider "5/4" 1X6" X 10' p-t. (For a 9.5' X 25' decking, you would need 55 1X6...actually 5.5"... X 10' pieces + a few more for waste or rejects, if they're returnable. Install the entire 10' decking before cutting off the edge squarely to 9.5'.
You can get kiln-dried-after-treatment (stamped KDAT), or make sure that the p-t that you're getting has air "cured" itself pretty dry, because you will want to prime it on all sides before installation, assuming that this is to be painted. Also, prime to seal the ends after you cut them off as well.
It costs at least 30% more than untreated, but if it is brand-name (Weyerhaeuser, Georgia-Pacific, etc.) treated to AWPB industry standards, it should have a 50-year limited warranty.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-10-04, 01:55 PM
Thanks!

Mike,

Thanks so much for the info.

I checked here at a reputable place (84 Lumber) and they had 1x4 Douglas Fir T&G decking / flooring, air cured and ready for delivery...pretty pricey, but I expected it to be, about $1.15 per ft. Very nice shape, few knots, etc.

When you say to install the whole 10' and trim back to 9.5', what would you suggest is the best way to trim square? Circular saw with a guide type of thing?

Thanks again.

Daniel

Old 07-11-04, 01:35 PM
bbgandpg
Visiting Guest
tongue and groove porch flooring

Hi,
I am also replacing a porch floor with new tongue and groove flooring. The price of T&G fir and T&G mahogany is exactly the same at my lumber yard. I'm not sure which is the better choice. Have you considered mahogany? I plan to paint the floor after installation. bbgandpg

Old 07-12-04, 05:54 PM
KDAT lumber is really nice to work with. Framed 2 decks with that a few weeks ago, cant believe its PT with how free of defects it is. We used KDAT to frame 2 composite GEODECK decks.

bbgandpg, mohagany has been used forever on porches and it lasts a long time with proper care. Depending on what the fir actually is, it becomes one mean rockhard piece of lumber over time. The cabin is framed with 60+ year old rough cut fir and you cant nail into it anymore.

Old 07-14-04, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To trim off the deck edge squarely, measure out 9.5' at both ends, pop a chalk line between the marks, and trim it off straight across with a circular saw.
Good Luck!
Mike