cedar vs. mahogany railings

Old 07-10-04, 06:42 PM
leslie7220
Visiting Guest
cedar vs. mahogany railings

we are building a beautiful porch and deck. The construction crew did a beautiful job laying mahogany decking but put cedar railings on the deck instead of mahogany. The contractor said he would take it apart and replace the cedar with mahogany if we wanted and we just need to decide. The original reason for using mahogany was because we live in MA and plan to leave the deck sealed but not painted. We thought mahogany was harderwood, therefore it would be a better choice. We've also heard that cedar is fine, too. If we leave the cedar will it age the way mahogany would? The contractor needs an answer soon..so i hope someone can help

Last edited by leslie7220; 07-10-04 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-04, 08:31 AM
Everett Abrams
Visiting Guest
If you are going to apply with natural sealers then these two wood species will show up sinificantly different. I have seen this combonation more frequently over the past couple of years with a mahogany(hardwood) floor and cedar(softwood) railings. In these cases a different tone sealer was used on each type of wood to get them to look close in appearance. I personally like the consistency of using the same wood.

Old 07-11-04, 04:20 PM
leslie7220
Visiting Guest
dear mr. abrams, thank you for your reply. Would it matter any less if the railings were white or red cedar. The contractor made the mistake and will do what i ask but its a lot of work,given that it's already finished.If you want to understand the mistake its because we put on a porch with mahogany decking and cedar railings and the cedar railings will be painted. The deck on the other hand was supposed to be all mahogany., because we are just sealing it. i understood your original answer i was just wodering if it made a difference with the type of cedar. thanks.

Old 07-11-04, 11:13 PM
Everett Abrams
Visiting Guest
Red Cedar will appear closer to the mahogany than the white cedar will, when sealed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: