Cement Patio

Old 07-13-04, 10:55 AM
BackSplitRich
Visiting Guest
Cement Patio

Hello, want to build a cement slab patio. There is existing pavers down now size is about 13'x15'. The new slab I want to make it 18'x37'. I have already decided to go with 4" deep concrete with 1/2" rebar in 6" squares. Might be over kill, but want to lessen the chance of cracking and heaving. Now, the question is, how much of a gravel bed is necessary? 5" ? 6" ? Also is there a rule of thumb on how high the patio can come up the the bottom of the door?

tia.

Old 07-16-04, 03:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Gravel Bed under your Patio really depends on your Frost line. If your up north and want to elimate shifting and Cracking you may want to go deeper in mild climates 5 to 6 inches would be fine. Though you are adding a beafy reinforcement structure. Rule of thumb on how high the Threshold should be? This again may depend on your Climate. I would want aleast 3 to 4 in. below the Floor level. You just want it to be a comfortable step and allow for the Water drain way from the Door.

Old 07-16-04, 10:07 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like themortarman said, how much base you need under the slab depends on where you're at and the frost line where you're at. Get the base deep enough to be below the frost line, and you won't have a heave problem.

Save yourself a bunch of time and money. First, you don't "NEED" rebar in a patio. But if you want to put reinforcing in, use a welded wire mesh rather than 1/2 rebar. The rebar pattern you are talking about is what they put in bridge decks that 40 ton semis use regularly!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: