handrail/stairrail questions

Old 07-15-04, 07:20 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
handrail/stairrail questions

My home owners insurance guy tells me I need to put in a stairrail on the stairs on my front porch. It is a cement and brick porch and about 6 steps down to the yard.

I guess I am going to install myself, seeing that it'll be less expensive than having someone else do it.

Question: Can you get these things in metal off the shelf or do they have to be custom made?

Question: Any off the shelf sources, major store chains that have these? (I never saw them in home depot)

Question: How do I find out about the local code to make sure what I install complies?

Old 07-15-04, 08:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Call your Building Inspection Department for local codes.
Yes, you can get railing kits and install them according to the directions. Try building supply yards, etc.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-16-04, 10:28 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Like Mike said, check with your local bldg. dept. first and see what CODE requires the railing to be before you buy one. Depending on where you're at and what code your local jurisdiction is enforcing, your railing will probably require that the design be such that a 4" ball cannot be passed through it, except at that triangle formed by the stair tread, stair riser, and the railing over it -- a 6" ball cannot pass through that.

Get out of the big box stores and go to a lumberyard. They can order you exactly the pieces you need, in the proper lengths once you provide them with a drawing of your porch and it's related stairs.

Attachment is with redheads -- you'll need to rent a roto-hammer to drill the holes in the concrete for them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: