Installing Posts for Aluminum Railing System

Old 07-29-04, 11:27 AM
al new
Visiting Guest
Installing Posts for Aluminum Railing System

I am going to buy a railing system called Rail Blazers from Peak Products company, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this product especially with installing posts. The posts have a 4"x4"x1" square base which will be installed on top of the deck using four 3" lag bolts, that will leave only 1" of bolt into the joist ( I am using a 1" composite deck), this doesn't seem strong enough to hold a 42" height railing system... any experience with this type of postings?

This is the link to their installation guide:
http://www.peakproducts.com/download...20assembly.pdf

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, I wouldn't install the railing with lag bolts. I would MISS the joists, put a backer under the deck boards and THROUGH bolt it.

Second, I would tell them where to put the lag bolts!!

Old 07-30-04, 07:15 AM
al new
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your suggestion.

They told me to consult a structural engineer! daaaa

So if I miss the joists, I have to install the base 1 1/2" back from the edge of the deck, it's OK for the deck itself but for the stairs I am not sure.

Also by THROUGH bolts you mean carriage bolts with nuts?

Old 08-02-04, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, "through bolts" are carriage or hex head bolts with nuts on the underside, and flat washers as needed.

The stairs shouldn't be a problem. If the treads are flush with the outside stringers, you should be able to lag bolt the outside of the bracket into the stringer and through bolt the inside holes of the bracket through the treads. If the treads overhang the outside stringers, you may be able to place the bracket (depending on how wide it is) so that you could through bolt on each side of the stringer.

Old 08-06-04, 07:43 AM
lehet
Visiting Guest
rail blazers by peak products

Has anyone installed the rail blazers by Peak Products glass railing system? Wondering how the quality of the product is and the ease of installation since we have to special order it.

Old 08-11-04, 10:50 AM
al new
Visiting Guest
Here in Minnesota I bought posts and railing from Menards but I had to special order the galsses, I haven't installed them yet, I am about to, the quality seems to be good but as I mentioned above they didn't provide good fastener bolts.

Old 09-15-04, 05:37 PM
Johny.Chinook
Visiting Guest
36 Inch Aluminum Railing

We wish to install an aluminum railing. The standard height seems to be 42 inch. Our deck is fairly low and we only need one 36 inches high. Most manufacturers we have talked with indicated that we must buy a 42 inch system and cut it down. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a 36 in system?

Thanks

Old 10-16-04, 06:56 AM
JeffTree
Visiting Guest
Question Experience with Rail Blazer

Hi Al

What was your experience like with the Rail Blazer System? I am contemplating their product. Did the installation go as expected, what were some of the challenges you had to overcome?

Here in Canada, (Home Depot is the retailer), the railing is available in black or white. Were you able to find different colours?

Thx,
Jeff

p.s. any chance you could send some pictures?

Old 11-15-04, 10:30 AM
JeffTree
Visiting Guest
Rail Blazer Experience

Hi all,

I have installed posts and rails for my deck, and found that most of it went pretty easily. I would have liked a template for the Universal Angle Brackets (UAB) so I could align and drill the holes in the posts. Since the brackets must match the height of the railing, there is no discretion where they should go, so it would be easy for Rail Blazers to develop and supply a template.

Also, the screws to mount the UAB are pretty chunky. Watch out when you drill the holes - too small, and they won't thread, too big and the screw won't bite.

I agree with other people - the bolts for the posts should go through two layers of decking and be bolted together instead of just driving in the lag bolts. The supplied lag bolts are okay to hold the posts while you assemble (put one in so you can tilt the post when you're fitting in the top rail).

Good luck all, I will post pictures if I can figure out how.

Jeff

Old 11-17-04, 12:04 PM
handymandon
Visiting Guest
Railings

I also looked at the system from Home Depot but decided it was a little on the light side for the price. I looked at a couple of other sytems and went with a system from Century Aluminum Products in BC, Canada. I found it was a better built system for about the same price.
http://www.centuryaluminuminc.com