Footing Depth for Deck

Old 08-12-04, 11:25 AM
anonymouscuban
Visiting Guest
Footing Depth for Deck

Greetings everyone... new guy here.

I'm an avid DIYer but yet to build a deck. I plan on actually building three decks around my home. One particular deck will be in the backyard towards the end of my property where it slopes off.

I am just starting to throw a few concepts around and was wondering how deep i will need to dig for the footings??? Fortunately, the slope is not fill... it is undisturbed soil. We have clay soil in my area. We also do not have any frost issues. The deck will sit about 12 feet above grade at its highest point.

It will probably boil down to what code specifies but just wanted an idea of what to expect. Any info will sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-04, 05:04 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Frost may not be an issue, but things like snow load and wind load will be. And a deck that is 12' above grade is going to have to have a larger footing than one that is say 2' or 3' above grade.

Draw a plan for your deck and take it in to your local bldg. dept. They will tell yiou what you need as far as footings, and crossbracing, railings, joists, girders, etc., etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: