cleaning a deck

Old 08-15-04, 07:45 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cleaning a deck

what's the best way to clean a deck that has greyed? i want to stain it, but i guess it needs to be cleaned first? an employee at lowe's told me i could use bleach instead of a commercial cleaner. is that a good idea? the deck is in good shape & doesn't have a lot of algae, etc. on it. i don't want to pressure wash it. when i stain it am i better off using a brush or a roller? i just bought this house & moved in a few days ago, so i know little about deck maintenance. thanx for you're help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 12:14 AM
Icemancomth
Visiting Guest
Cool Do not use chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) to clean your

Do not use chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) to clean your
wood! It is a very strong oxidizer that will remove the natural color from
your wood and destroy the lignin in the wood.

A much better cleaner for wood decks is oxygen bleach. This product
will not remove the natural colors from the wood nor will it harm
vegetation. Oxygen bleach kills mildew and removes algae and dirt
from wood decks and other outside surfaces.

Also a pressure washer will do but you have to be careful not to damage the wood.

I have some article and links on this subject here at

http://decks.hemmingsjones.com

Just copy and past the above link to your address bar. At the web page read down the page and also go to the links page on the site.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-17-04, 10:25 AM
B
Deck sanding

I would avoid power washing the deck unless you have an experienced user operate the equipment. Power washing forces water where it does not normally penetrate, and it can raise the grain. Keep the water away from other areas of your house. I've had more than one building inspector tell me to avoid power washing.

I sanded my deck using an orbital sander. Then I cleaned it with soap and water. I stained the deck with Sikkens, and the results are pretty good.

Old 08-18-04, 06:05 AM
B
couple of things

A couple of things:

One, be careful on the advice you get from a clerk at a big box. If they really knew what they were doing, would they be working for $8-$10/hour?

Bleach is the last thing I'd use on my deck. If you buy a commercial cleaner, READ the label. Lots of them use bleach. Avoid those products!!!

Like iceman said, an oxygenated (non-chlorine) bleach is what you want. Follow the directions on the label. One such product that has a good reputation is PDC (premium deck cleaner). You may need to order from their web site. There are other oxygenated cleaners on the market.

What were you going to use as a stain?

Old 08-18-04, 06:47 AM
K
i picked up a gallon of olympic wood protector. it's semi transparent in redwood. i won't power wash it. i haven't done the job yet, with all the rain we've been having. i won't use bleach, & i haven't decided on what product to use to clean it. thanx a bunch for the advice.

Old 08-31-04, 12:14 PM
B
expect about a year's wear

Expect only about a year of protection from the Olympic product. You'll get about 1 year for every $10 you spend per gallon.