roof patio

Old 09-02-04, 09:03 AM
jesuistv
Visiting Guest
roof patio

so theres a small room addition on the 1st floor rear of the house, and a huge window that is right on it. naturally we tend to sit on the roof there sometimes, but if we try to keep any chairs or anything on the roof it'll damage the surface of the roof, & sink into it on a hot day. i am looking for advice on how to make a roof surface a porch area, suitable for planters, and chairs. any adivice??

Old 09-02-04, 01:40 PM
greenstick23
Visiting Guest
Roof top living...

I have had to fix a few of these situations back in Kansas, so I know about the smoldering heat and the adverse affect on the roof. The best way for you to go is to construct a wook deck (with treated wood) right on top of the roof. Just as an air conditioner or any other roof skid is compensated for with weight dispersment etc, this can be structurally sound and save your roof. You'll be kicking back in no time. If you want some more information on the how...please respond back with the dimensions of your roof.

Old 09-02-04, 11:03 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've torn off more than one deck over a roof to get to the leaking roof and repair it. Before you put a deck over a roof, make the ROOF as permanent as possible!! Metal roofing works well for this and doesn't require any changes to the support for the roof.

Old 09-07-04, 11:50 AM
greenstick23
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Very True Lefty, but that metal roof can get extremely hot and just as unbearable to be on with summer heat. It can become slippery with just morning dew and that standing seam metal is not easy to walk on or spend time on. If he is wanting this roof to be a place to hang out, do some BB-Q etc., a metal roof would be difficult. However, you are very right about the wood deck on top of the regular roof. When it came time to tear it off/repair the underlying roof, it would suck.

Old 09-07-04, 09:32 PM
L
greenstick23,

I said to put down a metal roof, THEN put a deck over it. Noby is going to be walking on the metal roofing. It is just there because it is virtually leakproof, and has a life of about 40 to 50 years.

Old 09-19-04, 06:29 PM
BLehman
Visiting Guest
Final thought:
Would or does the decking provide enough shade over the metal roof to reduce any radient heat coming off of the metal, especially during summer months, to be comfortable on the deck?

Thanks

Looking to put a roof deck over decent sized roof next spring. Don't want to tear deck down in 8-10 years to replace roof or have the heat off of the metal roof to unbearable to be able to enjoy the deck.

Old 09-19-04, 08:02 PM
L
The deck would provide almost 100% shade for a metal roof. Reflected heat wouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-19-04, 08:07 PM
BLehman
Visiting Guest
Thanks,
Makes sense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: