Attaching Ledger Board in one story home

Old 11-11-04, 12:54 PM
vwuhome
Visiting Guest
Question Attaching Ledger Board in one story home

Hi,

I'm planning to build a patio size 12'x28', the patio is approximatly 8 feet in height, one site of the patio I plan to attach to the house, my house is one story home, what is the correct height from the ground up (or from the house base) I should attach the ledger board, and what size of the ledger board I should use to attach to the wall.

Also, on the other site of the patio, how many posts I should set up to support the patio's weight.

Thanks,
vwuhome

Old 11-11-04, 10:12 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vwuhome,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Deck and Patio forum.

First, I assume you are talking about a patio cover. The 12' projection and 28' width are just the beginning. There are variables like snow load, wind load, frost depth for the footings, what you are using for the cover, the post size and spacing, the rafter size and spacing, ...

The only place you will find the CORRECT answers is your local bldg. dept.

Old 11-12-04, 02:47 AM
vwuhome
Visiting Guest
Smile Attaching Ledger Board in one story home

Hi lefty,

Thank you for your kind reponse, yes I'm talking about the patio cover, I'm living at southtern California, where it has no snow and less raining all year around, I plan to build a light weight patio cover and I has learned that the first thing is to attach the ledger board to the wall if I decide to attach one side of the patio to the house. Because it is attached to the house, therefore it is subject to the building code requirement, but I do not know how high the ledger board should be bolted against the wall for one story house.

If I decide to build a free standing patio cover (not to attach to the house's wall), what is the minimum distance requirement that the posts can be set next to the wall.

Thanks,
Vance

Old 11-12-04, 08:11 AM
L
First, when you say "Because it is attached to the house, therefore it is subject to the building code requirement..." Attachment to the house has nothing to do with it -- whether you attach it or make it free standing, it still has to meet the requirements that your local bldg. dept. will impose, and you need to pull a permit for it.

If you attach the ledger to the wall, it has to be above the doors and windows, obviously. Your projection (out from the house), the slope of the cover, and the size of the joists and the beam you use to support those joists will all have a bearing on how much head clearance you have under the beam.

If built free-standing, your posts will be embedded in concrete footings. The size (diameter) of the footings will determine how close to the wall your posts are. Your local bldg. dept. will tell you everything you need to know -- how big of footings, post spacings, joist, beam, and post sizes, etc., etc. And they will tell you what they will approve and what they won't.

Sorry, I (and nobody else in here) cannot give you 'exact' answers, in inches and feet, which I think is what you are asking for. That is due to every patio cover and every bldg. jurisdiction having different requirements. One brand of aluminum cover that I install has 10 pages of engineering cut sheets that I have to sort through to find the answers to the questions that you are asking. And the cut sheets for each mfgr. is unique to their product. (I choose from 8 or 10 different brands, and it's usually the cut sheets that determines which brand a customer ends up with in his or her back yard!!)

Old 11-12-04, 11:34 AM
vwuhome
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi lefty,

Thank you for your detail explanation, I guess my local bldg. dept. is the official place to obtain all requirements that I need.

Vance

Old 11-12-04, 06:08 PM
L
vwuhome,

There's lots of So. CA, and this probably doesn't apply, depending on exactly where you live. But be aware that in certain hillside areas -- something like Topanga or Malibu Canyon -- CDF has what is called a 'Hillside Development Area'. Due to fire hazards, they wouldn't let you put up a WOOD patio cover if you happen to live in one of those areas. (Just FYI, IN CASE you happen to reside in one of those areas.)

"Light weight patio cover" -- I'm assuming that you are talking about using a corragated metal, PVC, or fiberglass panel over a wood frame. If so, figure a slope of 3/8" per foot. With a 12' projection, assuming that you place the beam at 10' from the wall of the house, the top of the beam would be about 4" lower than the top of the ledger that you attach to the wall, or about 4" lower than the beam nearest the house if you go 'free-standing'. You want the BOTTOM of that outside beam to be 78" to 80" above the patio. (80" is a standard door height.)

You'll just have to take a bunch of measurements and see what is going to work for you. I put up 10 to 15 covers ayear, I don't recall any 2 of them that have ever been the same!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: