considdering deck....for new home....

Old 11-17-04, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question considdering deck....for new home....

hey all,
at this time i am considdering putting a semi inground pool(size unknown at this time...) with decking around it,for let say a sun bathing area, and possably a bbq area for entertaining, deck would be from house to alil past end of pool...(and also enough area for service pool if needed) i already took some measurments and im looking to stretch out from house 16ft to 18ft from the exsisting stairs which id like to connect together,and wrap around a bit from the side of house since ...this is a brand new home and this is my very first is there anything i should watch out for, and what wood is best to use, and get alotta of yrs outta of it...with out having spinters..

a relative of mine did his own deck it looked good at first ,and after one season...yikes..the wood has buckled,and has crackes..and spinter galor...and i dont want that;/
I have seen the composit stuff thats out there on the market..mmm not sure if i like that..i love the beauty of wood...but also want to make sure i have lol good wood,any suggestions..and any suggestions on plans for a size,and something that can help me determin what could look right for my home....(2story modern colonial)

hope i made sence. looking forward to hearing from all

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 10:48 PM
If you go with wood, you're gonna get spinters. But then, you'll have WOOD!

If you go with a composite, you won't have spinters, but then, you WON'T have wood. (And you won't have several weekends a year and a few hundred dollars maintaining a wood deck, either!)

I'm a contractor -- I'll build whatever the customer wants. But the customer has to make the call. Wood is cheaper, UP FRONT. But the lack of maintenance makes a composite cheaper in 6 to 10 years. Looks are important. There are something between 50 and 150 composites on the market. They don't all look the same. Time to go shopping!!

Old 11-18-04, 07:58 AM
hmm true lefty!
so for something i want ...how much am i looking at?

Old 11-18-04, 11:48 AM
Thumbs down No Advertisements Allowed

IPE (pronounced ee-pay) is an exotic hardwood from South America that seems to be just what you want. It is extremely low maintenance but it is the most beautiful wood you've ever laid eyes on. And it seems perfect for decks. My clients and I love the stuff so much I made a whole website dedicated to nothing but IPE with tons of photos. We are selling and building IPE decks all through Virginia and Maryland and people are going nuts over the stuff. I have lots of information on it. Call me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx m/w/f 10-4pm Eastern. Hope this helps. -- Mike French/owner Virginia Decking & Remodeling.

PS -- I don't know if they will permit this link, but hopefully they will. See http://zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com/
===========

No Advertising Allowed!
Forums Monitor

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-18-04 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 12:17 PM
great...ill chk it out...if i like what i see...would you travel to ny for building my deck?....also..would u be able to send a scrap peice/sample?

Old 11-19-04, 07:42 PM
IPE is certainly an option. But there are LOTS of options out there. Best thing to do is to go SHOPPING!! See what's available where you are. THAT'S going to be the biggest limitaion to your choices.

Where I'm at, redwood is the wood deck of choice for those who want a wood deck. But, this is one of the few areas where it's available. But, BECAUSE it's available here, nobody really looks at cedar or PT. Where you're at, cedar and PT may be your only wood options, short of going to the exoctics like IPE, mahogany, teak, etc.

Cost differences -- check what you can get the various products for where you're at and compare prices. What my costs here and what your costs are there is comparing apples and oranges.

Old 12-06-04, 11:13 AM
rlvarcoe
Visiting Guest
deck materials

Maybe this tread should be contractors corner.. lol I am a contractor in PA and as previously posted there are a lot of options out there. For those who like wood, splinters are part and parcel. For other options and long term cost effectiveness there are many synthetics out there currently available. One member suggested IPE but going back to your original post of having the deck surround a pool keep in mind that althoug IPE is a very hard natural wood it is also tounge and groove which may not be as good at water drainage. other options such as trex, weatherbest, etc with spacing may be more appropriate in wet areas.

Good Luck and happy hunting