Ice removal on a pressure treated deck

Old 01-21-05, 11:02 AM
Jessop
Visiting Guest
Ice removal on a pressure treated deck

Anyone know what I can use to remove ice on a deck that hasn't been sealed or primed yet? I got the deck in just before winter started and didn't have time to seal / prime it before the snow came. I don't want to rune my chances of sealing the deck in the spring by using potassium chloride, or salt. Sand would be a bad thing as the dogs would track it into the house.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Old 01-21-05, 12:02 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use salt or de-icer

Use rock salt or de-icer. It will have no effect upon the treated lumber and salt itself was once used as a wood treatment to prevent rot.

Old 01-21-05, 12:49 PM
Jessop
Visiting Guest
Really I thought salt and the de-icers inhibits the ability to apply sealers. Kool thanks, I was worried that it would hamper the application of the sealer in the spring. Thanks much

Old 01-29-05, 06:56 AM
thomas kramer
Visiting Guest
Hello from frozen milwaukee. I have seen salt,and calc. chlor. used on decks ....OUCH is all i have to say .I build ipe and calf red wood decks in wisconsin and i use and recomend using a bio degradeable product Small black sunflower bird feed. the black atracts the heat melts the ice and feeds the birds and works fine

Old 01-29-05, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow, I have been waiting to post this question all day, I can't believe it is already here!

We have close to the same problem - except our decks are sealed with a stain type repellent. Our biggest problem is the only way to get to the inside of our house is through the front and back entrance which are both stairways made of decking wood.

We thought the salt would hurt the finish. Somehow I don't think the bird seed would work well and would get pretty messy for entry ways.

Any ideas for wood steps?

Old 01-30-05, 06:54 AM
Jessop
Visiting Guest
Magnesium Chloride

I just used magnesium chloride and i had no problems this weekend. and the ice melted with no problem infact i think it started drawing out the grease stains in the wood. So i don't know all i can do is see what happens in the spring when i try to treat the wood. LOL i'll let yall know what happens. but everything I am reading so far is that the Magnesium Chloride won't hurt the wood at all even when i go to seal it in the spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: