Elevated Deck for Spa

Old 01-26-05, 07:43 AM
lyjo
Visiting Guest
Elevated Deck for Spa

I want to build an elevated (9') deck to hold a Hot tub (spa)..
I only want bracing on the 4 corners and it can be attached to the house.. can anyone give me some details on the structure.. I've build deck in past and even to hold tubs but was always able to set posts all in several places.?

HELP???

Old 01-26-05, 09:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. Is 9' the height?

2. What is the proposed size of the deck in all directions?

3. What is the size of the hot tub and how much does it weigh?

4. Where will the hot tub be placed on the deck?

All of these questions need to be answered in order to determine what you will need. I'll try to answer this, but you are probably going to need a permit and the building department may have requirements that you should check.

Old 01-31-05, 07:34 AM
lyjo
Visiting Guest
Deck details

Ground to bottom of lower support 9'
12' x 16' Deck
attached to house one side
possible 3 posts on side away from house
tub in corner away from House Est lbs 5000? (over but safe)

Old 01-31-05, 01:00 PM
BeamoPureEnergy
Visiting Guest
Related Question

I already have a second-story deck. How do I figure out how much weight it can hold? The spa need 115 lbs per sq ft. I have 16" spacing of 12" joists. Is that enough?

Old 01-31-05, 07:33 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
lyjo, BeamoPureEnergy,

We have no idea where you 2 are, or what codes you have to build by, or what sort of snow, wind, or dead loads you have to meet, or what seismic zone you might be in.

And lyjo, "Ground to bottom of lower support 9' " -- where I live, that couldn't be done with wood posts -- code calls for the DECK to be less than 10' above grade.

Best advise to both of you -- go ask your local bldg. dept. They will help you design everything from the bottom of the footing up, in a way that they will approve. (They have to inspect it anyway, so start there!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: